Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:02 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
I agree, but will the updates work with the older tuners and cables like Mike and I have?
Short answer... if your VCI is black? The answer is NO. Some of the software will update as far as what one can do on the PC, but Flight Recorder, etc will NOT work with the black.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:28 PM
converted103
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Short answer... if your VCI is black? The answer is NO. Some of the software will update as far as what one can do on the PC, but Flight Recorder, etc will NOT work with the black.
The suspense is killing me.!!
This update I'am really hanging out for !! Should be a pearla !!

Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I agree, but will the updates work with the older tuners and cables like Mike and I have?
The FR will only work on the Blue boxes but most of the software will still work fine on the Black boxes. If your old cables worked fine before updates they will work find after.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Lucky for my dad he has the Blue vci for his Triglide, I have the black for my 06 Ultra.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 AM
09fxdfse
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default EGR tuning

Hi
I need a bit of advice from the resident gurus.
I have put in a bit of time with this but I need to confirm I'm on the right track.
I've done the cam tune , tidied up the start and idle, and after a fair bit of vtuning am getting in to the EGR tuning.

Here is mastertune tuning calibration 031
https://app.box.com/s/95t4y2oqqsun9f83yai7

and the datamaster file 031 resulting from the tuning run
https://app.box.com/s/5vq59krjt5jqdy6z2fj3

combined to give new mastertune tuning calibration 032 with some minor smoothing of ve's and egr adjustments added
https://app.box.com/s/8hgfa19e2egtlcyx3jfc

I look forward to being able to make use of the new software but in the meantime I need to make sure I'm on the right track.

I'm trying to get the last ve before 60kpa within 5% of the value after 60 kpa in each rpm row and being mindful of the values immediately above and below it to get a smooth 3D graph.

I think I have my riding/tuning technique pretty well sorted but have trouble filling cells on the histogram much past the 60 kpa line.
Very high speeds even up steep hills and still less than 40% throttle.
Also having trouble with low rpm's past 10-15% throttle.
The engine seems to like it less and less.

Don't have any tuners or dyno operators here who know anything about TTS but I have arranged some dyno time to try and get more of the cells filled in.

Any advice gratefully received.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm working out of town, Garry, but maybe I can view this like Wednesday and reply. I ran the Histogram real fast. At 4500 rpm, do you see you DID hit 80kpa? AT 2750 you almost did, you have 787.8 KPA.''You need to go back and read my Histogram posts on how to click on cells to see where you are at.

4500 rpm row is what you WANT. See the green box with the blue square inside? That IS it!

Anotherthing to remember is this... you have a TPS calibration, which means the top axis denotes Throttle Position and NOT MAP. When you say 60 KPA line, please discard the tought you are talking about the 60/80/100 on the top axis... THAT is Throttle Position and what YOU need to look at, and look for is the check mark, like in the 4500 row. You are confusing a MAP based tune, with YOUR TPS tune. (And for fellow members with 2014 touring? Those bikes have a new cal series... no more 205; 009; 044 series, it is now a 614[I think thats what it is now] and the 2014 touring bikes have went BACK to TPS calibrations for VE Tables, just like the Softails have been doing for awhile now.)

It looks to me you are TRULY almost 'there', Garry! More hills in a higher gear should allow you to possible hit those lower rpms. You want to start filling from 2500 to 4500 first, with the check marks, and THEN try to get below 2500. The further you go below 2000 rpms, the harder it is, but TRY, using higher gears and lugging a bit, to get each row.

Here is a tip. Once you get the whole 2000 row, with purple checks a few times... copy paste THOSE VEs into the 1750 row. Then go get your 1750 row with v-tune. If you can fill out the 1750 row with some purple checks, take that row, and copy paste the VEs into the 1500 row, and repeat the v-tune runs. Don't bother doing this under 1500 rpms.

Clicking some cells, I can see that you ARE gathering a lot of data mostly, throughout the all the way green cells. You, as you know, need to fill out to the check marks. Higher gears, lower speeds, bigger hills. All I am seeing is that you are having difficulty loading the engine sufficiently. Bigger hills, higher gear, should do the trick, Mate.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 09-23-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Am assuming the 031 is the VTune calibration?

If so, reset your adaptive knock tables to zero

Your VE's are going to show dips in the higher kPa/mid RPM areas due to the 2-1. The cam profile wants to breath easy at lower RPM's but seems to like 3500 and up.

Looking at your EGR analyzer, you are not that far off.

To answer your question... you seem to be on the right track. Remember that tuning isn't about speed, it's about hitting all the cells you can using gearing and loads. The far upper right and lower left quadrants are really tough to get but if you don't ride there you can smooth them out on your own.

Originally Posted by 09fxdfse
Hi
I need a bit of advice from the resident gurus.
I have put in a bit of time with this but I need to confirm I'm on the right track.
I've done the cam tune , tidied up the start and idle, and after a fair bit of vtuning am getting in to the EGR tuning.

Here is mastertune tuning calibration 031
https://app.box.com/s/95t4y2oqqsun9f83yai7

and the datamaster file 031 resulting from the tuning run
https://app.box.com/s/5vq59krjt5jqdy6z2fj3

combined to give new mastertune tuning calibration 032 with some minor smoothing of ve's and egr adjustments added
https://app.box.com/s/8hgfa19e2egtlcyx3jfc

I look forward to being able to make use of the new software but in the meantime I need to make sure I'm on the right track.

I'm trying to get the last ve before 60kpa within 5% of the value after 60 kpa in each rpm row and being mindful of the values immediately above and below it to get a smooth 3D graph.

I think I have my riding/tuning technique pretty well sorted but have trouble filling cells on the histogram much past the 60 kpa line.
Very high speeds even up steep hills and still less than 40% throttle.
Also having trouble with low rpm's past 10-15% throttle.
The engine seems to like it less and less.

Don't have any tuners or dyno operators here who know anything about TTS but I have arranged some dyno time to try and get more of the cells filled in.

Any advice gratefully received.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 PM
09fxdfse
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
At 4500 rpm, do you see you DID hit 80kpa? AT 2750 you almost did, you have 78.78 KPA.

I'm pushing a bit harder but running out of road fast at 100mph , I need to go further from home!

4500 rpm row is what you WANT. See the green box with the blue square inside? That IS it!

Anotherthing to remember is this... you have a TPS calibration, which means the top axis denotes Throttle Position and NOT MAP. When you say 60 KPA line, please discard the thought you are talking about the 60/80/100 on the top axis... THAT is Throttle Position and what YOU need to look at, and look for is the check mark, like in the 4500 row.

I draw a line between the heavy highlighted cells below 60kpa and the non highlighted cells when I generate the tune.

You want to start filling from 2500 to 4500 first, with the check marks, and THEN try to get below 2500.

Will do!

Here is a tip. Once you get the whole 2000 row, with purple checks a few times... copy paste THOSE VEs into the 1750 row. Then go get your 1750 row with v-tune. If you can fill out the 1750 row with some purple checks, take that row, and copy paste the VEs into the 1500 row, and repeat the v-tune runs. Don't bother doing this under 1500 rpms.

Good idea. I'll have a go at that!
Thanks Wurk , your input very much appreciated.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 PM
09fxdfse
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Am assuming the 031 is the VTune calibration?

If so, reset your adaptive knock tables to zero

I thought you leave adaptive knock active until tuning timing ?
Will do.

Looking at your EGR analyzer, you are not that far off.

I have checked the manual a few times and the EGR analyzer doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The hits on the left side of the line don't always coincide with ve's which need adjusting.
I see what is happening when I look at the highlighted ve's for each cylinder.

To answer your question... you seem to be on the right track. Remember that tuning isn't about speed, it's about hitting all the cells you can using gearing and loads. The far upper right and lower left quadrants are really tough to get but if you don't ride there you can smooth them out on your own.

Thanks Wiz!

I also read a post recently from Ken (NGH) and he mentioned you substituted 266 timing tables for the 259 tables when tuning the Honey Badger and the low rpm manners were improved considerably.

Could you expand on this?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by 09fxdfse
Thanks Wiz!

I also read a post recently from Ken (NGH) and he mentioned you substituted 266 timing tables for the 259 tables when tuning the Honey Badger and the low rpm manners were improved considerably.

Could you expand on this?

Thanks!
I think it was the 260 cams he meant to say. Expand on this?

I found out many moons ago more isn't more. Comes under the same rule as loud isn't fast, it's just loud. It's like people who increase their AE just because they have a larger cam... uhhhh, nooooo. Take some AE out and you may find much sharper throttle and less lag.

His bike had very bad manners and lost most of the bottom end when he went to that huge 2-1 exhaust and 259 cam. He didn't have ping but I knew if I changed his timing down a little he would gain his motor manners back. I just dropped in a lower timing table for a larger cam and that was the magic he needed. When the TT3 software comes out we will work with his timing.

The EGR is like playing a video game... hit and miss at best. If you take one table cell and make a huge swing on one cylinder then you will see which direction it will go. You can then move to another cell and yet another... very time consuming. The TT3 software will do this for us...

Get your EGR close and let it ride.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 09-23-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information