Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 AM
09fxdfse
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Calibration Updates

Hi Wiz or Wurk or UNutz.
I need confirmation I'm doing this right.
Relates to saving and updating files.
I sought confirmation on this long time ago (on a different forum )but still bugs me.

I'm in Vtune and pick Mastertune file (existing calibration in bike) ,say -005.mT8
and just recorded DM3 file , say -005.DM3.
Prompted to Accept and I do.
Save as -006.MT8

Go into Mastertune
Pick -006.MT8
Open
Edit
Edit Calibration Part Number
New PN displays -005
Change to -006
Save Changes
File
Program ECM
Message comes up
"Unsaved changes were made to the working dataset.
The Mastertune HD file must be saved before the ECM can be programmed.
Press OK to save the file
or press Cancel to return to Mastertune HD"
OK
Back to Mastertune HD
Save
Overwrite Message comes up
"File already exists
Press OK to overwrite or cancel to exit"
OK
Programming Instructions
File information
Cal -006
Program ECM

Is this bug in the software , or am I doing something wrong?
I did give file a different name once and compared to file to be overwritten.
Both the same.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
The tune is coming around but I do see you have a long way to go on VE's. Need to hit more cells. Doing the 3500 and lower first is smart, keep going.

I assume your AFR table isn't what you are using for VTune and not the one you will be using on the street?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by 09fxdfse
Hi Wiz or Wurk or UNutz.
I need confirmation I'm doing this right.
Relates to saving and updating files.
I sought confirmation on this long time ago (on a different forum )but still bugs me.

I'm in Vtune and pick Mastertune file (existing calibration in bike) ,say -005.mT8
and just recorded DM3 file , say -005.DM3.
Prompted to Accept and I do.
Save as -006.MT8

Go into Mastertune
Pick -006.MT8
Open
Edit
Edit Calibration Part Number
New PN displays -005
Change to -006
Save Changes
File
Program ECM
Message comes up
"Unsaved changes were made to the working dataset.
The Mastertune HD file must be saved before the ECM can be programmed.
Press OK to save the file
or press Cancel to return to Mastertune HD"
OK
Back to Mastertune HD
Save
Overwrite Message comes up
"File already exists
Press OK to overwrite or cancel to exit"
OK
Programming Instructions
File information
Cal -006
Program ECM

Is this bug in the software , or am I doing something wrong?
I did give file a different name once and compared to file to be overwritten.
Both the same.

Thanks
After reading this about 6 times all I can say is....

There is no need to edit the calibration number with each change of your VTune calibration. That is what the extension number is for at the end of your saved file.

However, I did try to duplicate what you were saying and I had no issue hitting OK and the program starting to flash the ECM.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
The tune is coming around but I do see you have a long way to go on VE's. Need to hit more cells. Doing the 3500 and lower first is smart, keep going.

I assume your AFR table isn't what you are using for VTune and not the one you will be using on the street?
The current afr table is what is the result of my 3 runs then set to origional. I did richen the first 6 rows that were red after setting to original by 1 increment. Just those. Should I set that back to origional again. I see that may pull me from closed loop at that point maybe? I also have my clb at 700. Does that need changed or is it ok? The 02 calculator recommended 780 something. As that file sits that is what is in the bike. Have not rode since program. Can I continue to v tune runs adding to the final I just did by changing afr table back to 14.6 and keep going from there to get to those cells I am not hitting? Thanks for your time and help. I feel I am getting a good grasp but one screwup can cause quite the problem.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

The current afr table is what is the result of my 3 runs then set to origional. I did richen the first 6 rows that were red after setting to original by 1 increment. Just those. Should I set that back to origional again. I see that may pull me from closed loop at that point maybe? I also have my clb at 700. Does that need changed or is it ok? The 02 calculator recommended 780 something. As that file sits that is what is in the bike. Have not rode since program. Can I continue to v tune runs adding to the final I just did by changing afr table back to 14.6 and keep going from there to get to those cells I am not hitting? Thanks for your time and help. I feel I am getting a good grasp but one screwup can cause quite the problem.
The AFR table doesn't change when doing VTune runs, only the VE tables.

When you set up a VTune calibration....All AFR cells (except for 100 kPa) must be in 14.6 to tell the ECM to switch on the 02 sensors for feedback. Without this feedback you will never fill the VE cells.

When viewing your AFR table, click on RPM. Select the 20 Unit radio button and hit Increment. Click on 100 kPa and hit Set to Original. Now you have the proper AFR table to Vtune.

CBL is a personal choice, my favorite is 684. It's a good match between MPG and power on a stock or Stage 1 motor.

Change your last MT8 VTune file to reflect the adjustments above, flash your bike and go VTune. When you finish the lower RPM range get some WOT throttle runs to fill in 80 kPa and above. Find a hill and lug your bike as low as you can run your RPM's with a nice smooth throttle, this will help the lower end RPM's and higher kPa areas.

Also... use Auto-Extend when generating a new VTune file if you haven't already.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

The AFR table doesn't change when doing VTune runs, only the VE tables.

When you set up a VTune calibration....All AFR cells (except for 100 kPa) must be in 14.6 to tell the ECM to switch on the 02 sensors for feedback. Without this feedback you will never fill the VE cells.

When viewing your AFR table, click on RPM. Select the 20 Unit radio button and hit Increment. Click on 100 kPa and hit Set to Original. Now you have the proper AFR table to Vtune.

CBL is a personal choice, my favorite is 684. It's a good match between MPG and power on a stock or Stage 1 motor.

Change your last MT8 VTune file to reflect the adjustments above, flash your bike and go VTune. When you finish the lower RPM range get some WOT throttle runs to fill in 80 kPa and above. Find a hill and lug your bike as low as you can run your RPM's with a nice smooth throttle, this will help the lower end RPM's and higher kPa areas.

Also... use Auto-Extend when generating a new VTune file if you haven't already.
I changed the tts cal I originally programmed to 14.6 all cells in AFR and the clb to 700 saved then programmed to bike. Ran 3 vtune runs saving,generating,save new and program. Did that 3 times till I made the final you see. To make final I took the 3rd vtune run changed AFR to original, manually adjusted the rows I mentioned and saved. Then programmed to bike. So to continue vtune I will manually change AFR back to all cells 14.6(only for vtune then back original) and keep making runs till almost all white. The current tune I uploaded I need to change AFR back to original again and save. Is it OK to leave programmed or should I program the initial tts cal I started with before I did any v tuning( the mt7 file that fit my build) till I have time to make more runs? Thanks again.

Last edited by slyedog; 08-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

I changed the tts cal I originally programmed to 14.6 all cells in AFR and the clb to 700 saved then programmed to bike. Ran 3 vtune runs saving,generating,save new and program. Did that 3 times till I made the final you see. To make final I took the 3rd vtune run changed AFR to original, manually adjusted the rows I mentioned and saved. Then programmed to bike. So to continue vtune I will manually change AFR back to all cells 14.6(only for vtune then back original) and keep making runs till almost all white. The current tune I uploaded I need to change AFR back to original again and save. Is it OK to leave programmed or should I program the initial tts cal I started with before I did any v tuning( the mt7 file that fit my build) till I have time to make more runs? Thanks again.
Just save the AFR back to original and flash. Don't use the MT7

Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Just save the AFR back to original and flash. Don't use the MT7
Will do. Thank you for your time and guidance. I will report back when I have some time to make more vtune runs and progress made.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM
09fxdfse
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading this about 6 times all I can say is....

There is no need to edit the calibration number with each change of your VTune calibration. That is what the extension number is for at the end of your saved file.

However, I did try to duplicate what you were saying and I had no issue hitting OK and the program starting to flash the ECM.

Hi Wiz
Thanks for looking at it for me.
Sorry about the 6 times !

Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i too (being a 26 year computer nerd) got a little **** about filenames and such when I first started doing this only to get about half way through it and completely lost my place in my vtunes with the different file names. Best to leave them as they are numbered for simplicity sake then when you're done you can go change anything you want in the file constants.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information