Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparra
Hey fella's...I am slowly getting my bike sorted and managing a few v-tunes but was wondering if someone can shed some light on pinging...I have only ever heard it in a car and it was a distinct pinging sound...Since I have been trying to tune my bike there is a noise that sorta sounds like the motor is labouring, it's pretty hard to pinpoint as the pipes are loud and I was wondering if this is the motor pinging...Is there a way of looking at my data to see if the motor is in fact pinging and is there a way to adjust the timing to stop it if it is???

It definately wasn't there with the stock pipes and air on it...

Cheers...Sparra
Flash a finished calibration to your bike. Start datamaster and do a generic 02 data recording. Warm up the bike to get the juices flowing then start the recording.

Take the bike out to a safe place and crank the throttle hard to redline in 2nd and/or 3rd gear. Then take the bike to a long lonely stretch of hwy and start at 2000 RPM in your highest gear and roll the throttle to the highest RPM you can stand it safely or do this on a tall hill. If 6th shouldn't be used then try 5th then 4th but it's important to get two types of recordings... snap throttle in a lower gear and a roll to full throttle in a higher gear with a load. Bring the bike back home.

Stop the recording and close the datamaster. Reopen datamaster and open your last data file.

To the right bottom you will find a set of recorded values such as engine speed, MAP and vehicle speed. Double click on all of them and change their value to <none> in the pop up box. This will remove the clutter. Double click on any "none" value and change it to Knock Retard front then do the same to another one for Knock Retard Rear.

This will give you a straight line at the bottom of the left box. If you see a peek in these straight lines that would be your "ping". Click your mouse on a peek then look at the right hand lower box to see the degree of retard. Use the left arrow on your keyboard to move to 0 retard. That area of kPa is where you need to make an adjustment. Datamaster records history. This is why you need to look for the kPa area just before the knock happens.

Write each recorded event down for what cylinder and what kPa and RPM just before the event.

There are two successful ways of removing knock retard. VE increase at the effected kPa and RPM area or timing retard. I always increase that VE area by 5% first before messing with the timing.

Rinse and repeat until the datamaster table shows no knock.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Also zero out the adaptive knock retard table while looking for the knock retard.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Software updates as well as Manual updates hit last night. So did all the newer calibrations TTS todate. So, if you want the new TTS2 software now would be a good time to convert over. It will work with the TTS and the TTS2 modules.

Before upgrading you will want to uninstall the old version of Mastertune, Datamaster and VTune first. If not the file types will not point to the new version.

I'll be tuning two bikes today so I'm looking forward to learning the new processes.
How exactly do I do this? I uninstalled everything but the updater. Then I checked for updates and it pulled up all the files as not installed. I then clicked on datamaster2HD, master tune manuals, master tune 2 HD, and vtune 2 HD. Then clicked on apply selected updates. Did I do this correctly?

Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

yup, that's correct

Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i can't seem to find time lately to do any more vtune runs.. How about I put it on a truck and send it to you.. :-)

Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
i can't seem to find time lately to do any more vtune runs.. How about I put it on a truck and send it to you.. :-)
Send it on... I'll send it back from time to time so you can wash it of course.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Bumping this thread a bit.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Bumping this thread a bit.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Ditto on that and have a safe one Dave.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Please excuse my lack of knowledge question:

I had my bike dyno tuned and am very happy with the tune. The tuner told me the O2 sensors don't really do anything anymore since my bike is tuned out of their range. My bike doesn't seem to adapt to sharp temperature changes as well as it did when the O2 sensors were active. Would it be a big advantage to go to wide range sensors or to leave well enough alone.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information