Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
RicMF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my cams installed, S&S 583. I programmed a canned map (CAE176-03) and collected some CamTune IVO data in the driveway. It's pretty much as Lonewolf posted above, but I've attached an image anyway. I'll use 4 for the IVO setting, and keep it at 3 for the close setting. So basically keep the Cam Selector set to default.

Next I'll collect some VTune data on a few 20 minute runs. I've got some reading to do to figure out how to use the EGR Effect tables, hints welcome.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-camtune_ivo_graph1.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by RicMF
I've got some reading to do to figure out how to use the EGR Effect tables, hints welcome.
Best advice for working with EGR...

Do two vtune runs, about 30 minutes each. Try to hit all your normal riding ranges on these two runs.

On each consecutive run keep your RPM's below 3500 and your Vtune time less than 20 minutes. Concentrate on smoothing your 3D graph for each cylinder before going on to the higher RPM areas. You will waste a few runs learning how the EGR table will react to changes so be patient. Patience now will pay dividends when the tune is complete.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM
RicMF
Tourer

Is there a recommended value I should use for the Closed Loop Bias table in my tuning map? I used 664 last time I tuned, but the map I'm starting with now sets it to 720 for most cells and higher for some. Do I need to set them to a constant value?

Old 07-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Is there a recommended value I should use for the Closed Loop Bias table in my tuning map? I used 664 last time I tuned, but the map I'm starting with now sets it to 720 for most cells and higher for some. Do I need to set them to a constant value?
Most have found that the higher the CLB number, the shorter the O2 sensor life.

The lower number will usually yield slightly better fuel mileage and in some case better motor response...really depends on what each bike likes the most.

I start with a lower number and then move up from there. I know that's not too specific but you'll just have to try a few different settings.

But remember, once you begin v-tuning, don't change the CLB values.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 AM
RicMF
Tourer

I did a few tuning runs yesterday, and kept the throttle and RPMs fairly low, and it's smoothing out nicely in these areas. Latest VTune image is attached (this is only after two runs of about 25 minutes each).

I don't think I missed anything in my initial map, but double-check for me: I set the Closed Loop Bias to 603 for all values (admittedly somewhat of a random selection), AFR to 14.6 for all cells, PE Mode set to max value, Accel and Decel Enrich/lean to 0, Adaptive Knock retard off. I set the displacement to 101.5", which is what I used last time I tuned, though I can't remember exactly why.

Currently it runs great at lower throttle through most of the range, but falls on its face when I crack it open. My next few runs I plan on focusing on trying to collect data at higher throttle settings, which is a bit trickier. Anything else I should be doing and/or posting here?

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-vtune_calibration3.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

I did a few tuning runs yesterday, and kept the throttle and RPMs fairly low, and it's smoothing out nicely in these areas. Latest VTune image is attached (this is only after two runs of about 25 minutes each).

I don't think I missed anything in my initial map, but double-check for me: I set the Closed Loop Bias to 603 for all values (admittedly somewhat of a random selection), AFR to 14.6 for all cells, PE Mode set to max value, Accel and Decel Enrich/lean to 0, Adaptive Knock retard off. I set the displacement to 101.5", which is what I used last time I tuned, though I can't remember exactly why.

Currently it runs great at lower throttle through most of the range, but falls on its face when I crack it open. My next few runs I plan on focusing on trying to collect data at higher throttle settings, which is a bit trickier. Anything else I should be doing and/or posting here?
Actually you are doing it perfectly step by step. Nice going.

With your pipes I would set the CLB up to somewhere around 640 to 680 (-+). This will give you a good middle ground between MPG and performance.

I would like to see a screen shot of each VE 3D graph if you can manage that. Yes, go to your higher RPM and throttle ranges now. Use higher gears for high throttle and hold it there. No need for high speeds so use your gearing and find some large hills.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM
RicMF
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Actually you are doing it perfectly step by step. Nice going.
Thanks. It's mainly from what I've learned from folks like you in this here forum.

I only had time to do one quick run this evening. I've posted the VTune calibration and the VE tables for this run. Still didn't get much good data above 40% throttle, and the VE tables look like the Himalayas. The bike is still running horribly except at lower throttles in mid/upper RPMs.

Question, should I autoextend my VTunes? Could that help with the sputtering at higher throttles?

Thanks again for all your (collective) help and advice. I'm enjoying learning this stuff.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-vtune_calibration4.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-ve_front_4.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-ve_rear_4.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Thanks. It's mainly from what I've learned from folks like you in this here forum.

I only had time to do one quick run this evening. I've posted the VTune calibration and the VE tables for this run. Still didn't get much good data above 40% throttle, and the VE tables look like the Himalayas. The bike is still running horribly except at lower throttles in mid/upper RPMs.

Question, should I autoextend my VTunes? Could that help with the sputtering at higher throttles?

Thanks again for all your (collective) help and advice. I'm enjoying learning this stuff.
I would suggest doing the VTune software again but this time use the auto extend. Use the auto extend from this point forward. I normally use it after the second run.

I see the peak but not to worry just yet. Keep working with your EGR tables to smooth it out. You may also want to drop your idle RPMs down to 750 for now just to hit the lower areas too... see that deep blue pool? Once you get some data down there you can set your idle back to original settings.

If you take a look at your VE's you will see you are getting up in the 120's. It's time to increase your CI by another 5%, maybe 10%. Your pipes are doing that and if you have a cam then it is a combination of the two working together wanting more and more.

If I've said it once I've said it many times. Patience will get you a good tune. There's no hurry. Once you get short runs out of the way and work with the EGR then you can extend your runs for more data through the entire spectrum of RPM and TPS.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
RicMF
Tourer

Had a chance for another couple runs this evening. Latest VE graphs posted.

I increased my displacement from 101 up to 108 but I see I'm still hitting in the 120s. My efforts to smooth out my graph with the EGR Effect tables have had minimal impact, but slightly more positive impact than negative. I'm nervous about changing values more than 5% or 10% at a time, honestly.

I focused on higher throttles in these runs, but I watched the DataMaster playback and I see that most times I went above 50% throttle or so, it always went to Waiting. Now I know better than to crank my wrist from 5% to 90% TPS, so I always roll the throttle up slowly, but still I'm not getting good data at these settings. What could be the reason(s)? DataMaster plot posted too, for fun.

The bike is running better, but very slowly. It still sputters and spits when I crack the throttle more than half way open.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-ve_front_6.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-ve_rear_6.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-datamaster6.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 PM
jmg343
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my CLB set to 700 and the bike was running like a champ but a bit hot. I called Doc and spoke with him, he told me to bump the CLB up to 759. I did, bike still runs great and seems to have cooled down a bit. Any thoughts? Do you think I am going to severely shorten the life of my O2 sensors?

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information