Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

thats what i was wondering. do you have any experience with those pipes? from everything i can find and people i've talked to they're supposed to be excellent pipes for power. they're duals but have the x pipe in there. yes it is a 96. i'm planning to bump it to a 107 with head work next winter but wanna get the most of it for this riding season.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

double post

Last edited by 2deuceguy; 05-25-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: double post
Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cjwanner2000
thats what i was wondering. do you have any experience with those pipes? from everything i can find and people i've talked to they're supposed to be excellent pipes for power. they're duals but have the x pipe in there. yes it is a 96. i'm planning to bump it to a 107 with head work next winter but wanna get the most of it for this riding season.
i missed the pipes in your post and was going off the photo at the bottom of your post. The pipes you have should be good.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mtclassic
i missed the pipes in your post and was going off the photo at the bottom of your post. The pipes you have should be good.
ya i just changed it all a couple months ago. haven't updated pic yet

Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Jerry Pbury
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Mastertune, need help

I am confused (easily) as to deciding which initial tune to download. I searched the lists and couldn't find anything that I thought was close to my setup. I am sure I am not unique as I see a lot of posts in other threads of riders who have similar setups as myself.

2008 FXDC
SE AC
Rush slip on mufflers
107"
10.5-1 CR
Ported/flowed heads with larger valves and race springs. Max 0.650 lift.
Woods TW-777 cams, new lifters adjustable pushrods.
Stock throttle body with 3.91 injectors.

Any suggestions as to what tune to start with or? All suggestions greatly appreciated. I have read all of the pages in this thread several times as well as the manual.

Thank you,

Jerry

Old 05-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Pbury
I am confused (easily) as to deciding which initial tune to download. I searched the lists and couldn't find anything that I thought was close to my setup. I am sure I am not unique as I see a lot of posts in other threads of riders who have similar setups as myself.

2008 FXDC
SE AC
Rush slip on mufflers
107"
10.5-1 CR
Ported/flowed heads with larger valves and race springs. Max 0.650 lift.
Woods TW-777 cams, new lifters adjustable pushrods.
Stock throttle body with 3.91 injectors.

Any suggestions as to what tune to start with or? All suggestions greatly appreciated. I have read all of the pages in this thread several times as well as the manual.

Thank you,

Jerry
It's interesting, when you have motor mods, just how you are to pick the right starting calibration. For me (not speaking for anyone else) I start small (cal with less mods) and work my way up. I never try a larger calibration and try to work my lesser modifications into the calibration.

According to TTS there are over 200 internal software switch points that "they" set and the end user can't. There is no identification of these switch points and just what they do. With the .MT8 calibrations we are given the cam selector and the EGR tables. The two points make choosing a calibration easier so let's break your bike down a bit more.

You have a 107. You have a bit more compression and you have more free flowing heads than stock. Your cam is a little larger than most would put in a 107 but nothing "that" radical. Your slipon's were unspecified for baffle size but you are using the stock head pipe with the cross over. You need to find a calibration that works for a 2008 bike

I would look at the table for "2006- 2011 with shorty exhaust closed loop". I would then look at the 1690 motor size. That narrows you down to three calibrations... The DAF, DMS and DPI 176 calibrations.

The DAF may be too small with your head work but again you didn't say how large your baffle size is.

The DMS utilizes the timing tables of the 255 cams which is darn good in my opinion.

The DPI is more high output with larger cams and head work. But again, depending on your baffle size this too is in question.

If you have 2.0 baffles or smaller I would recommend the DMS, if your baffles are 2.0 or larger I would go with the DPI.

If your head work can't handle the DMS or DPI I would go back to the DAF. I would not try the larger calibrations by reducing the cubic inches in the calibration.

All this is a product of motor modifications. The more you modify the harder it is to choose the correct calibration so you will have to hunt the best out of multiple choices.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Jerry Pbury
Advanced

Wow! I wasn't even close on my choices! I have the 2" baffles in my slipons.

I just finished the save on the original tune. Don't know if it is stock or not as I am not the OP and was not the one to put the SE AC and Rush mufflers on. I will wait until tomorrow to start the calibration as the family will leave then.

I was surprised that it started right up and settled into an idle after all of the mods (with the as purchased tune). When I converted my wife's 883 to 1200 it would barely idle. BTW, I purchased the dual tuner so will be tuning her sportster next.

Thank you!

Jerry

Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 AM
TKanaley
Cruiser

If I'm running the stock cam and not much interested in diddling with the EGR function, is there any reason or advantage to why I would want to upgrade my current TTS software platform from mt7 to mt8?

If I do upgrade to mt8, will I need to enter cam specifics in the calibration I'll be using, or are the light modification calibrations already set up for use of a stock cam? If cam data entry is required, can anybody tell me where I can find the specs I'll need for the stock HD cam?

Bike is a 2011 Tri-Glide with Arlen Ness airbox, Jackpot headpipe and Fatshotz muffs. I'll be using either the DTA009 or DTA044 calibrations.

Thanks!

TK

Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Jerry Pbury
Advanced

I downloaded the DPI tune with the CI adjusted to 107. It starts easily and idles like a bike with a cam. I only have about 10 miles on this engine so I just took it out to fill the tank. Put on about 6 miles, bike feels strong with very little throttle. Didn't lug it but kept it at about 2000 or so rpm. Seemed to run hot but it is in the upper 80's and I was wearing shorts (something I never do). Probably won't get to vtune it until I get back in town. I live in Cincinnati most of the time and visit my FXDC and FXRS (and wife) every couple of weeks (I have several Shovelheads in Cincy to ride).

Jerry

Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TKanaley
If I'm running the stock cam and not much interested in diddling with the EGR function, is there any reason or advantage to why I would want to upgrade my current TTS software platform from mt7 to mt8?

If I do upgrade to mt8, will I need to enter cam specifics in the calibration I'll be using, or are the light modification calibrations already set up for use of a stock cam? If cam data entry is required, can anybody tell me where I can find the specs I'll need for the stock HD cam?

Bike is a 2011 Tri-Glide with Arlen Ness airbox, Jackpot headpipe and Fatshotz muffs. I'll be using either the DTA009 or DTA044 calibrations.

Thanks!

TK
I have a 2009 Street Glide with A/C and slipons. I upgraded to the MT8. Per CamTune, I needed to adjust IVO from 4 to 5. Between using IVO 5 and blending VEs with the EGR tables, the bike is insanely smooth compared to my MT7 tune. 2500-3500 is smooth as butter...
To check CamTune settings is as easy as recording CamData at idle for a couple minutes. If it needs to be changed, you must vtune after you change it. I feel it is really worth the work to use IVO and EGR functions.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information