Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

"Why should it be done and what advantages there are to working with the EGR".
So other members can know the 'why' this is a good thing.....

Back in the day when all of the bikes were 'open loop' and had no O2 sensors, a tuner would simply manually massage the tables to smooth out those camel humps in the graphs. Bike would perform better and all was cool.

Now, with 'closed loop'... one can NOT massage the graphs and keep closed loop, because if manually done, we will have taken the VEs from a place that the ECM itself made (using v-tune) to our own. One needs to use the EGR tool to make the ECM itself make the corrections so that the ECM is 'Happy" with the numbers involved... something that cannot be done if we manually change them, because if we use manual numbers, the ECM will hunt and try to apply fuel or take away fuel when hitting these areas... and basically the ECM could get 'lost' and not be "Happy' at all.

The tool works, but is what Wiz says... trial and error.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

...and that is called.... (cough) getting a little Head.

Bwahaaaaaaa

How ya been WT?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by mattVA
Mr. Wizard,

I just installed Andrews 48H cams into a 96" Dyna with a 2-1 exhaust and AN Big Sucker A/C.

The closest map appears to be CAA176-03 which is for a 96", 255 cam, 2-1 exhaust. I understand I have to use the cam estimator to adjust. Am I correct that for the 48H cam, the intake open is at 13* BTDC and the intake close is at 29* ABDC? This gives me an estimated Open setting of 4 and a Close setting of 2.

I know I'll get a more accurate Open setting using the cam analyzer tool, but for the close setting does this seem okay?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt... darn it man... it's easy to skip over someone's question here. Sorry about that.

You need to chat with Mayor. CLICK HERE FOR A GOOD READ

-wiz

Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Wardenbf
I don't mean to derail this discussion, but is there someplace where different TTS maps can be found? I'm about to put some SE 255 cams into a 96TC with A/C and slip-ons, and there is no map that I can find for that combination.

TIA
Wardenbf...

Not to worry about what file you select for the 255's. The MT8 calibrations have a cam selector. You have a choice of manually setting the IVO and IVC depending on the specs or you can run the Cam Analyzer Data.

Just pic a calibration that is as close as you can get to your bike even if it is darn near stock.

-wiz

Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

OK... tried to pick up the hanging chads while I had time... got a bike coming in a few that I need to experiment on.

Guys... if any of us missed any questions, chime in again. Way too many pages here to look back.

-wiz

Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 PM
55tango
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
What you may wish to do is go for a data run... NOT V-Tune run.

Get it to ping.

Then play back the run, and you can see where the ECM pulled timing. Once you find this, post up the data run thru something like box-net so we can DL the actual data run and play it ourselves. A slight fuel and/or timing adjustment can eliminate the pinging.

You should really address this issue, too. If the ping is audible (rocks under the fender sound), that tells me the ECM TRIED to pull enough to make it stop pinging but could not.

Thanks WT will do!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Wiz.

I think I am going to go down to Florida with Durwood and his new RG.

Should be fun!

I am, myself, playing around with EGR tables with some help from Hrdtail78.

I hope all is well with you and yours, too!!!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Northwestsooner
Intermediate
Default TTS Matertune, Starting over

Mr. Wizard, and Lone Wolf, I am installing Vance and Hines power duals today. Decided to get rid of the Cats. So I will be starting over. Can I use the base map I already have and set all to closed loop or shoud I start with DTQ009-03-A0.MT8 or DTQ044-03-A0.MT8. I will have Kuryukan Streetsleeper II Breather, Vance and Hines power duals, and Rinehart 3" slipons on the 2012 FLHR. I have learned a lot with your help on the first set up. I will try and do a better job of gathering data at the lower RPM's to work with the EGR values on this try. and I am thinking of doing data runs and look at ping and maybe work of spark settings. I have worked with Rig capture and monitoring systems with Lynix and windows based systems and we try and do minimal reflashing on these units. Can a person over do the reflashing on the Harley ECM's? This is a fairly large learning curve. I have learned more off this Blog than reading and rereading the TTS manual. I would realy like to go through a class on this. Or maybe someone could make a DVD class on the TTS Mastertune. Thank you.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Northwestsooner
I am installing Vance and Hines power duals today.
Before we go any further... you know the power duals are for looks and show only, not a performance pipe. The first thing you should do is investigate the placement, angle and depth of the 02 sensors. If these three factors aren't correct you will have nothing but tuning issues especially on bottom end.

Not knocking V&H, just speaking from experience.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Northwestsooner
Intermediate

Ok, what i was doing was getting rid of the Catalytic converters. I figured that would help some. And not have to worry about plugging up the cats. A shop here in Woodward known for their performance bikes is doing the install. (Covingtons).

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information