Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Northwestsooner
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, I appreciate all the help. If the weather allows I will work on this this week. Had a tornado go by the house about 4 miles away yesterday, Neighbors had grape fruit sized hail, and it looks like more weather comming in.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Wardenbf
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mean to derail this discussion, but is there someplace where different TTS maps can be found? I'm about to put some SE 255 cams into a 96TC with A/C and slip-ons, and there is no map that I can find for that combination.

TIA

Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Mr. Wizard,

I just installed Andrews 48H cams into a 96" Dyna with a 2-1 exhaust and AN Big Sucker A/C.

The closest map appears to be CAA176-03 which is for a 96", 255 cam, 2-1 exhaust. I understand I have to use the cam estimator to adjust. Am I correct that for the 48H cam, the intake open is at 13* BTDC and the intake close is at 29* ABDC? This gives me an estimated Open setting of 4 and a Close setting of 2.

I know I'll get a more accurate Open setting using the cam analyzer tool, but for the close setting does this seem okay?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by mattVA; 04-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM
55tango
Intermediate

Hi Wiz, I've been following along...as a point of reference, could you post your graph? Or one that has been smoothed by this process? My graph don't look like Northwestsooner's...

Last edited by 55tango; 04-11-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by 55tango
Hi Wiz, I've been following along...as a point of reference, could you post your graph? Or one that has been smoothed by this process? My graph don't look like Northwestsooner's...

Here is a shot of one that will give you an idea as to the direction you need to go visually.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-rgraph.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
The EGR is a difficult subject to understand. When working with the EGR it is different for about every bike. I really think it is a mystery that should be better explained but the explanation will not assist you with the actual working of the EGR tables.

Here is what the manual says: The EGR effect tables compensate the VE calculations for Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) dilution of the intake airflow. These tables are used to shape the VE table at MAP values of 60kPa or less. Typically, these would be adjusted to reduce excessive VE table values, and to flatten out the VE table in the 0 to 60 kPa region.

OK... so what does that really mean and why do we need to work with it in the first place?

Without getting into a long scenario the answer is simple. The bike runs smoother, has better acceleration, more Torque and HP, better gas mileage and the ride in the lower RPM range is enhanced but you will never be able to see this on a Dyno or on any data gathered by the TTS. It is feel, 100% feel. Let me give you an example...

After I worked with the EGR and finally understood how it affected the VE graph I had to finish up and ready myself and the bike for a ride the next morning not knowing what to expect. During the next day's ride I found myself using less throttle. I could come to a slow rolling green light turn, leave the bike in second gear and at 1500 RPM was easily able to roll the throttle right through the turn and accelerate with ease. There was no bucking or blub, blub, blub jerking of the compensator it was simply raw Torque that pulled the bike into the higher RPM range. Riding in a parking lot in low speeds was so much easier as there was no need to up or down shift, just roll the throttle.

Unless you actually experience this 100% feeling you will have no clue as to what I am saying. It's a must feel. It's not necessary to work with the EGR but once you have the time to work with it and see how to adjust it to your bike you will absolutely love it.

-wiz
Thanks for taking the time to explain this, Wiz. I'm not a TTS user, but everytime I heard folks talking about using the EGR, I scratched my head. One function I wish the SE Pro had.

Have a good one.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Fish

What's funny is... the explanation is just another scratch of your head. My explanation is something that has not been talked about before here.. "Why should it be done and what advantages there are to working with the EGR".

There are many threads about how to do it but they aren't located on this site. They are located HERE and HERE

It's way too much information for me to inseminate on this site on my own. I'm an experimenting fool and seem to play/tune more than I ride. It's a b*tch being a perfectionist sometimes but a lot of fun getting the end results.

Hope you're having a great day

-wiz

EDIT: one of the most weird things is... If you do the same as I do on the EGR table adjustments you could really muck your tune up. The adjustments depend on the bike and the motor modifications as to which direction you beta and/or how much. It's a "thing" one must experiment with to see which direction to move the graph. That's why I call it a Video Game. Takes time but the benefits are OUTSTANDING.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 04-11-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
55tango
Intermediate

Here is a shot of one that will give you an idea as to the direction you need to go visually.
Ah! That looks more like mine except I have some blue in the lower throttle positions accross the board. I think I'll try "smoothing" it out! Question: I get a little pinging at the bottom of each gear, you think this might help that too? Here's my "front" graph...

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-capture.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Yes, but the top left ve has been dropped to a minimum value to make it that flat. The first pic is a ve table from Northwestsooners first map where i did a "little" blending. The second one is where I dropped that upper left ve. Using the generated vtune that North westsooner posted I just look at the bold number compared to the number to the right. I don't know that I would adjust much more than maybe the 2400 cell on the front cylinder. Below 2000 rpm there is not enough data to make an adjustment.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-northwestsooner.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-northwestsooner1.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-northwestsooner3.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 55tango
Ah! That looks more like mine except I have some blue in the lower throttle positions accross the board. I think I'll try "smoothing" it out! Question: I get a little pinging at the bottom of each gear, you think this might help that too? Here's my "front" graph...
What you may wish to do is go for a data run... NOT V-Tune run.

Get it to ping.

Then play back the run, and you can see where the ECM pulled timing. Once you find this, post up the data run thru something like box-net so we can DL the actual data run and play it ourselves. A slight fuel and/or timing adjustment can eliminate the pinging.

You should really address this issue, too. If the ping is audible (rocks under the fender sound), that tells me the ECM TRIED to pull enough to make it stop pinging but could not.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information