Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraPoppy
Going to start some Datamaster and Vtunes runs hopefully Sunday afternoon.

Got any suggestions for the best settings for the CLB's on an 07 Ultra with stock engine, SEAC, true duals and Rush mufflers with 2.0.

Just looking for decent fuel mileage and cooler engine.

On the stock CPZ176-03 calibration. The CLBs are 525 in the 2000-3500 rpm range across the board. From what I understand that is a little on the lean side.

Would 641 across the board be OK, or need to go richer.
I have a calibration file setup for data collecting. I just need to finalize on the CLB settings before I start the Vtune process. I have read the V tuning process without a dyno.

Poppy

Thanks
I used 525 across the board for my CLBs on my last tune for both front and rear. I have just done about 7,000 miles on that tune. My gas mileage was good. Around 50 mpg when doing 55 mph, 45 mpg when doing 65 mph and 38 mpg when doing 75-80 mph with a headwind. The bike seems to run great and pulled very well in the Rocky Mountains at all speeds.

I just pulled my spark plugs to see how they looked. I am no expert at reading plugs, so if anyone who is and can comment on them please do!! I think they look pretty good, maybe a little lean. I suspect that I am running a little lean with at a CLB of 525.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-front-1.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-front-2.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-rear-1.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-rear-2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
I used 525 across the board for my CLBs on my last tune for both front and rear. I have just done about 7,000 miles on that tune. My gas mileage was good. Around 50 mpg when doing 55 mph, 45 mpg when doing 65 mph and 38 mpg when doing 75-80 mph with a headwind. The bike seems to run great and pulled very well in the Rocky Mountains at all speeds.

I just pulled my spark plugs to see how they looked. I am no expert at reading plugs, so if anyone who is and can comment on them please do!! I think they look pretty good, maybe a little lean. I suspect that I am running a little lean with at a CLB of 525.
Jim,
Yes I knew you have the CLBs set at 525. I was thinking that is on the lean side. I emailed Doc and asked him.

Here is my email
When setting up Vtune calibration is 525 across the board too lean for CLBs? What do recommend for best fuel mileage and still be ok? I have read your vtuning without a dyno guide.

Here is the reply.
525 is pretty lean.....the bike will run fine there however it will run hot. Itry to stay in the area or 760, this will cool the bike down and still give you 38 (town) to 42 (hiway) mpg

Here is what it says in the VTune Process without a Dyno tuning Guide.
Set the Closed Loop Bias Voltage tables to the desired AFR voltage. A
good range would be between 640mV and 780mV.
For mileage, you may want to select 640 (should deliver an AFR ratio of
about 14.64:1.) The higher the
number, the richer the bike cruises at,

resulting in a cooler running engine.

Note: you can set the voltage higher than 780. For example, a setting of
852 could get you close to 13.8 AFR. However, at that rate you are likely
to ruin your O2 sensors quickly, among other things. For the best
performance vs. long-term reliability, keep voltages between 640 and

From what reading I have done in this thread and other places. I have seen 681 mentioned for CLB settings in several posts. So I have set my CLB's for 681 and will start there. I think that should let the bike run a little richer and cooler than 525 and still give me good mileage and performance. When I get the setup with 681 CLB V tuned. I will then do another V tune later on and create another calibratrion with mid 700 CLB settings. Then I can have two calibration files to compare how it will run and fuel mileage comparsion.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Jim,
Yes I knew you have the CLBs set at 525. I was thinking that is on the lean side. I emailed Doc and asked him.

Here is my email
When setting up Vtune calibration is 525 across the board too lean for CLBs? What do recommend for best fuel mileage and still be ok? I have read your vtuning without a dyno guide.

Here is the reply.
525 is pretty lean.....the bike will run fine there however it will run hot. Itry to stay in the area or 760, this will cool the bike down and still give you 38 (town) to 42 (hiway) mpg

Here is what it says in the VTune Process without a Dyno tuning Guide.
Set the Closed Loop Bias Voltage tables to the desired AFR voltage. A
good range would be between 640mV and 780mV.
For mileage, you may want to select 640 (should deliver an AFR ratio of
about 14.64:1.) The higher the
number, the richer the bike cruises at,

resulting in a cooler running engine.

Note: you can set the voltage higher than 780. For example, a setting of
852 could get you close to 13.8 AFR. However, at that rate you are likely
to ruin your O2 sensors quickly, among other things. For the best
performance vs. long-term reliability, keep voltages between 640 and

From what reading I have done in this thread and other places. I have seen 681 mentioned for CLB settings in several posts. So I have set my CLB's for 681 and will start there. I think that should let the bike run a little richer and cooler than 525 and still give me good mileage and performance. When I get the setup with 681 CLB V tuned. I will then do another V tune later on and create another calibratrion with mid 700 CLB settings. Then I can have two calibration files to compare how it will run and fuel mileage comparsion.

David, I may try some more Vtunes and make a new map using the stock CLBs that vary from 525 to 681. That seems like a good compromise to me. As the table gets to the higher rpms and MAP, the CLBs go up, which is probably good from a heat and performance standpoint. I have never seen anything that says all the CLBs have to be the same or different. I assume since it is a table, the intent is for them to be different. Although my plugs seem to look pretty good to me after 7,000 on the tune with the CLBs all on 525. I have done some more reading and comparisons on plug photos and they don't really look like any of the "hot"/lean plugs that I have seen pictures of. I have attached the actual stock CLB calibration for our 07 engines that I am referring to.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-clbs.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 02:10 PM
RKCJAX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Chris

There are a few guys with the same bike and about the exact same set up. Their posts are just a few pages back where you can find all the same answers. Read back about two or three months and you will be in good shape to start tuning.

(its early and coffee hasn't hit bottom yet)
Mr. Wizard thanks for the reply, looks like map CPZ176-03 would be my starting map agree?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
David, I may try some more Vtunes and make a new map using the stock CLBs that vary from 525 to 681. That seems like a good compromise to me. As the table gets to the higher rpms and MAP, the CLBs go up, which is probably good from a heat and performance standpoint. I have never seen anything that says all the CLBs have to be the same or different. I assume since it is a table, the intent is for them to be different. Although my plugs seem to look pretty good to me after 7,000 on the tune with the CLBs all on 525. I have done some more reading and comparisons on plug photos and they don't really look like any of the "hot"/lean plugs that I have seen pictures of. I have attached the actual stock CLB calibration for our 07 engines that I am referring to.
FWIW I like a little richer idle so it stays a little cooler while caught in stop and go or construction zones. I think 684 - 694 would be a good number, I'd go 684 across the board and call it a day. In the end you won't see much of a fuel mileage gain running the CLB's leaner. The plugs don't look terrible, looks like you might have some signs of slight detonation on the porcelain of the one plug, the other one sure has a lot of crud like that cyl was seeing some dirt or other foreign material.

Last edited by msocko3; 08-21-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 PM
RKCJAX
Intermediate

Chris
I just did the same thing. Dumped the PCIII and now have the TTS Mastertune. We basically have the same setup. I have an 07 Ultra Classic stock 96 inch engine. SE Air Cleaner, V&H Dresser Duals with Rush Mufflers with 2.0 Baffles.

I loaded calibration file CPZ176-03, that is the file for 96 inch engine set up like our bikes.

I am going to start the Vtune process on Sunday. I borrowed my grand daughters Netbook. It will be easier to carry on the bike than my Toshiba laptop. Should be able to position the netbook so I can glance at the screen and watch the cells turn green when doing a data collecting run.

Download the guide below and read it. It will help you when you begin the Vtune process.
http://www.box.net/shared/p10ktr42tm

I think you will like the Mastertune better than the PCIII. The canned map from Mastertune runs the bike better than the PCIII did with a custom map. I am looking forward to doing some Vtune runs and dialing it in better. You do have the 02 sensors in your head pipes?
Poppy, thanks for the info, yes our bikes are very similar. Did you have any problem with how the bike ran running just the base map prior to doing your vtunes?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:11 PM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RKCJAX
Poppy, thanks for the info, yes our bikes are very similar. Did you have any problem with how the bike ran running just the base map prior to doing your vtunes?
Chris,
My bike ran fine with CPZ176-03. I did a Cam Data recording. The stock IVO is 4 and the IVC is 3. On the Cam Data recording it showed 5 as the first upswing on the IVO. The KPA was in the 38 range. I then changed the Cam selection IVO 4 and changed the IVC to 2. I then did another Cam data recording. The KPA went down to 30-31 range. So I left the IVO at 4 and changed the IVC to 2. It idles a little smoother with the IVC at 2 it seems to me.

I am new to this. I got the TTS on Monday and installed it then. I rode it about 100 miles total with CPZ176-03 with the IVC changed to 2 from 3 in stock calibration. I have did 4 tuning runs today. I have loaded that final calibration for the time being. When I get some more time, I will do some more Vtune runs and see how it goes.

I used a Netbook computer for the V Tune runs. That way I could watch the cells and get an idea of what it took to make them turn green. Green is when there is enough data collected for each rpm and throttle position.

Here is the VE graphs for my front and rear cylinders after 3 VT runs. I probably need to make some more runs. My CLB's are 681 across the board in each cylinder.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-ve1.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-ve2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 05:33 PM
RKCJAX
Intermediate

Chris,
My bike ran fine with CPZ176-03. I did a Cam Data recording. The stock IVO is 4 and the IVC is 3. On the Cam Data recording it showed 5 as the first upswing on the IVO. The KPA was in the 38 range. I then changed the Cam selection IVO 4 and changed the IVC to 2. I then did another Cam data recording. The KPA went down to 30-31 range. So I left the IVO at 4 and changed the IVC to 2. It idles a little smoother with the IVC at 2 it seems to me.

I am new to this. I got the TTS on Monday and installed it then. I rode it about 100 miles total with CPZ176-03 with the IVC changed to 2 from 3 in stock calibration. I have did 4 tuning runs today. I have loaded that final calibration for the time being. When I get some more time, I will do some more Vtune runs and see how it goes.

I used a Netbook computer for the V Tune runs. That way I could watch the cells and get an idea of what it took to make them turn green. Green is when there is enough data collected for each rpm and throttle position.

Here is the VE graphs for my front and rear cylinders after 3 VT runs. I probably need to make some more runs. My CLB's are 681 across the board in each cylinder.
Thanks, for the info on the cam numbers, I was thinking about loading the base map and running it as is, until i have time to do vtunes, if i understand correctly if you change anything in basemap you have to do vtunes right away. Looks like you are well on your way to a good running bike!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:30 PM
nalazin
1st Gear
Default Cam anaylsis help

Would like to get this right. Have vtuned a couple times with not very good results. Running to lean. So starting over. Is 2 the correct IVO? 2007 FXDC, Heavy breather AC, Samson big gun 3, and TW555 Woods cam.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-cam-analysis.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Chris,

So, how does the bike run now on this final calibration after the vtunes compared to the stock TTS calibration CPZ176-03?

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information