Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:43 AM
patmanhd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I have soooo much to learn here. I don't even understand what VE really means yet, but I do have an engineering background and an inquisitive mind.

I will keep your recommendation in mind about the "speed" comment. My goal for now is just to richen it up.

I will be very interesting in seeing how the VTune process works. Looking at the base map, it appears the AFR's are mainly stock (14.6) and that would lead me to believe I am looking at the same EPA type ratios from my Stage I download.

I am hoping the VTune exercise will lead me to understand my first set of questions about AFR. After reading some of the manual last night, I am confused about the best method to adjust the ratio. It appears there are 3 different methods, AFR, Lambda and one other that I can't recall right now. I am hoping to start seeing some of that as I record. Any tutorial information (posting or a link) would be most appreciated.

For now I can sit down for some breakfast while mistake #2 is being fixed (running the battery down).

Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Step #1 is saving your factory calibration.
Step #2 is choosing a starting calibration (common mistake is to choose one too big)
Step #3 is Cam Selector (don't take for granted the cam selection is correct)
Step #4 is setting up a VTune calibration
Step #5 is to calibrate your VE's (everything works off the VE numbers)
Step #6 is to work with your EGR
Step #7 is to take all this information and transfer it to your starting calibration

...and the list goes on. Timing is a real pain unless you can see your changes on a dyno. You can't rely on the seat to find increase or decrease performance unless you can print out your TQ and HP chart while working with timing. Guess is not good enough. If in doubt, leave the timing alone and just make sure you preform a few datamaster recordings and look for knock retard. Make a few adjustments in VE's first then make your adjustments in retarding timing to eliminate knock.

The more you work with this the easier it will become. Good luck and stay safe.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
patmanhd
Novice

Excellent advice. I would have done things differently based on ignorance. I don't plan to do anything without understanding the background and effects. I get your message of caution on the timing.

I can't wait to understand this in detail.

I read a little about stoichiometric principles over breakfast. Just a little light reading. I have a much better understanding in the relationship of AFR and Lambda now.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:56 PM
patmanhd
Novice

Mr Wizard,
Wow, getting the cam figured out took a lot more research that I thought. First, I couldn't find the Intake open and close for the stock cam. Once I did, it appears the map I started with is way off. Could it really be possible?

I started with CPZ176-03-a0. The description is 06-11 Touring with A/C and exhaust. Which would mean the stock cam.

There is stock cam specs on the Andrews and Nightrider sites and it appears they have different specs. Andrews appears to show Intake Open/Close to be -9/25 for '07/08 and Nightrider shows 02/34 for TC88. I have an '07 Ultra.

First, can someone help me locate the stock cam intake open/close? Second, if the value is negative, what does that mean?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:08 PM
patmanhd
Novice

I found yet another reference that seems good, however, I still don't understand how to interpret a negative number.

The reference is on the Nightrider site (http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/d...erCamSpecs.pdf)

It indicates that 2006+ have a stock intake open/close of -4/40. Does that mean that the intake is 4 ATDC vs. 4 BTDC? I interpret the close to mean 40 ABDC.

Any help with the interpretation would be appreciated

Old 07-24-2011, 02:29 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patmanhd
I found yet another reference that seems good, however, I still don't understand how to interpret a negative number.

The reference is on the Nightrider site (http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/d...erCamSpecs.pdf)

It indicates that 2006+ have a stock intake open/close of -4/40. Does that mean that the intake is 4 ATDC vs. 4 BTDC? I interpret the close to mean 40 ABDC.

Any help with the interpretation would be appreciated
I am no expert, but I have spent a good bit of time doing and tweaking Vtunes on my 07 Ultra with stock Cams, SE exhaust and SEAC. Here is what I did after a lot of help from folks on this forum!! I used the following for my stock cams: IVO of -12BTDC or 12ATDC and IVC of 30ABDC. Reducing each of these by one in the estimator gives an IVO setting of 6 & IVC setting of 2. My camtune analysis in Datamaster gave an IVO setting of 5. I ended up having to reduce the IVO setting to a final setting of 4. I arrived at 4 due to my MAP being high (in the 40's kPa at idle and "should" be between 30 & 40) and my VE on Vtuning stayed very low in the under 60 kPa range and I could not get them up changing the EGR factors. The final IVO of 4 and IVC of 2 seemed to be perfect for my 07 Ultra!!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 PM
patmanhd
Novice

Jim,
Thanks for the information. It's great data, now I just need to understand it. Hopefully, this will happen as I get through the process.

The first interesting point was that I had an assumption that the cam values would be static. It is interesting that you had to manipulate them to get the best out your tune.

The learning will be to understand how each of these parameters impact the tune

Thanks again

Old 07-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

LOL

Read back a few pages and you will see where the cam values were discussed as not being static.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
patmanhd
Novice

Frustration is setting in. I can't get the VTune to work like I expect. It seems to stop taking readings after a short time frame. It works when idling in the driveway and then seems to go into a "waiting" state. I can't get any samples while riding.

I'm still playing around with the menus to understand how to really capture data while I ride around heating up my bike thinking I producing some useful test data

Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by patmanhd
Frustration is setting in. I can't get the VTune to work like I expect. It seems to stop taking readings after a short time frame. It works when idling in the driveway and then seems to go into a "waiting" state. I can't get any samples while riding.

I'm still playing around with the menus to understand how to really capture data while I ride around heating up my bike thinking I producing some useful test data
Look at the very last few pages of the manual.

Be sure your computer is all set up so it won't stop working including any hard drive anti-shock program.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information