Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed a TTS on my 2011 Street Glide, tuned it up with V-Tune, and it's running pretty well.

I still made an appointment to have it Dyno tuned, to see how close I came with my V-Tuning.

My Dyno guy, who is a reputable tuner in my area, just informed me that if you load your bike with a TTS MT8 file, your warranty is voided.

Apparently, a HD dealer will not be able to communicate with a bike loaded with an MT8 file.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

There is only one real Doc that I know of. He is one hullofa tuner and owns his dyno shop in Florida. Doc travels and puts on training classes too. Doc may be helping TTS with tech support for a while... Don't know...

Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
I just installed a TTS on my 2011 Street Glide, tuned it up with V-Tune, and it's running pretty well.

I still made an appointment to have it Dyno tuned, to see how close I came with my V-Tuning.

My Dyno guy, who is a reputable tuner in my area, just informed me that if you load your bike with a TTS MT8 file, your warranty is voided.

Apparently, a HD dealer will not be able to communicate with a bike loaded with an MT8 file.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks
Hard to reply from a BBerry but... That would depend on your relationship with your dealer. This also why you save then reinstall the factory calibration. A reinstall leaves no trace.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Hard to reply from a BBerry but... That would depend on your relationship with your dealer. This also why you save then reinstall the factory calibration. A reinstall leaves no trace.

I'm familiar with the process of saving the original calibration, should you need to reinstall it in the future. This is exactly what I did.

However, my tuner said that once you load a TTS MT8 file, your warranty is voided, and you cannot switch back to a MT7 file.

He said that this statement was verified by several HD dealers in my area.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm familiar with the process of saving the original calibration, should you need to reinstall it in the future. This is exactly what I did.

However, my tuner said that once you load a TTS MT8 file, your warranty is voided, and you cannot switch back to a MT7 file.

He said that this statement was verified by several HD dealers in my area.

Thanks
Well......they don't know if their punched or bored. You will have no problem switching from an 8 to a 7.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Well......they don't know if their punched or bored. You will have no problem switching from an 8 to a 7.
Perhaps I should have been more clear.

My tuner said that you will void your warranty by using a MT8 file.

Her further explained, that while it is possibleto switch back to a MT7 file, this will not reinstate your warranty.

He claims that once you load a MT8 file, your warranty is voided, forever.

It would be nice to get some more opinions & information regarding the above.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 04:23 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
There is only one real Doc that I know of. He is one hullofa tuner and owns his dyno shop in Florida. Doc travels and puts on training classes too. Doc may be helping TTS with tech support for a while... Don't know...
In 1 email he asked where i took it for the original tune. He said maybe there is someone in the area that he trained that i can take it to. Thats when he told me to go to Dave at JD's Cycle Works. So maybe your right about him being there to help out on tech support.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Perhaps I should have been more clear.

My tuner said that you will void your warranty by using a MT8 file.

Her further explained, that while it is possibleto switch back to a MT7 file, this will not reinstate your warranty.

He claims that once you load a MT8 file, your warranty is voided, forever.

It would be nice to get some more opinions & information regarding the above.

Thanks
The HD digital tech when plugged into the bike looks for a tuner id byte to see if the ecm has been reprogrammed. TTS "forgot" to set this switch so to the tech it does not look like the bike has been reprogrammed. When you install the TTS file (MT8 or MT7) it does lock the ecm from being reprogrammed by another device. If you save your factory calibration (this is why there are warnings in the pop up window) and you reinstall the factory calibration before going to the dealer the ecm is unlocked and it can be reprogrammed. So as long as you take these steps how can they void the warranty? Even with an MT8 installed the dealer can do everything except reprogram it. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Lonewolf176; 07-15-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Russell is correct. I am a nervious nilly so after I loaded my mt8 I decided to try and reflash the ecm with the orignial harley stage 1 download via my SESPT kit and take it back to the dealer to see if there were any issues with my ecm. Nada. what the mt8 does is keep the dealer from changing things while the mt8 cal is flashed into the ecm but as long as you reflash your ecm with your original harley cal they do not even know it was reflashed.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Spencer, just follow the steps dudes are outlining to you. Your tuner is an idiot. Plain and simple. If you take an MT8 to a dealer... now THAT may void the warranty. There was a big bruhaha on another board about some dude doing just that. HE received a new ECM, because the one with MT8 in it was 'bad'. This guy felt TTS owed him a new tuner for free. I HATE the dudes on the CVO forums for the most part. But you? I like you... you try to learn.

I have personally talked to Steve Cole about this very issue, and in fact was THE person to announce these upgrades to the internet forums (simply right place/ right time kinda thing... NOT because I know jack crap).. Way cool for Steve and Doc to take time out to walk me through it all back in February!!!

And... just so you know... I just flashed my OWN bike with an MT8 and simply forgot to back it up first. HAHA!!! So... do what I SAY and NOT what I DO!!!

Now on THIS board (I KNOW you are on them all)... Lonewolf is really the man!!! Wizard is his sidekick., and they are NOT feeding you BS... they are telling the actual truth... YOUR tuner dyno idiot IS FEEDING YOU THE BS!! Heres how to play it all. Back up a MTE file YOURSELF from the ECM. Take it to the tuner dude and tell him ya ya ya, you know all about it, just tune my bike please... then if you LATER need a warranty/dealer visit. Shoot that MTE in there right down the street from the dealer and ride the bike in.

Don't believe... call Steve Cole at TTS and ask.

Now... that being said and do NOT take this as I am siding with the tuner idiota... but GM put in place EXACTLY what you describe in 2008 for diesels and vettes. There WILL be a time in the future... MOCOC does this too. Here's a thought for you. You are getting a dyno tune, if you wish to sleep at night, simply do an MT7 dyno tune. When utilizing a dyno... some of the things MT8s can do are done by a good operator when using a MT7 and you will NOT notice a difference, except for hopefully a better mannered bike.

Hopefully Gary will show up and really explain it for you. I'm just the local idiot here, but for even NON members like you tuner... bad info to my fellow members (of which you are three)... pisses me off to no end.

If you want, shoot me a PM with your number and we could shoot the williy for a bit, if you like.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-15-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information