Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty 48
Mr. Wiz,
Chin up, you have been a lot of help to me just by reading your posts helping others.
The most common problem is the placement of the O2 sensors in other than stock bikes. Sometimes even the stockers the O2 sensors are bad.
Hard to get a good tune when the oxygen sensors do not get a good sniff of the exhaust.

Plus, there may be other issues with a particular bike you just can't see, or know about it's history, by doing this over the Internet. Believe me, you've done much more good than harm. Are you damaging a motor?? Doubt it seriously! I think these EFI systems are more forgiving than we know, going by my experience. Mine seems to run just fine. Is it optimal? Seriously doubt that!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Ahhh just jump in. Lots of help available. The manual will make more sense once you start to use the programs. Just remember to save your factory calibration in a couple of different places. If something doesn't work out you can always go back to the last map that did. One thing that really helps is to have your files organized so it is easy to know where and what your data is.
AND MAKE NOTES IN YOUR EDIT FILE COMMENTS AREA.... THAT'S PRICELESS.

If you don't make notes and come back the next day or week.. good luck remembering what you did or changed.

Ahhhhh... OK guys... thanks but just damn. I'm in my busy season at work too so have been mach IV for the past few months. It's 102* in the shade here with 90% RH and I'm in an air comfort related engineering industry. I'll get back to it when I have a minute to breath. Pray for rain....

Old 07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok i think i am going to install the canned map that Doc recommends, CAE176-03-A0.MT8. I then will put on a backpack with my laptop and make some vtune runs. Now i have been reading this tuning guide and have a question.

The basic steps say this:
1. Set up laptop for data collection on the bike.
2. Open mastertune and back up your original cal.
3. Select your starting MT7 cal and setup for vtune.
Here is my 1st question. My starting tune is an MT8 calibration. And they say start with a MT7 claibration. What does it mean set it up for vtune?
4. Program the Vtune calibration into the ECM and exit Mastertune.
Does this mean just load the file you selected to start with and program your ecm with it? Before you program the ecm you need to change the AFR cells to 14.6 and change the PE Enable Rpms from 4300 to 10000. This is done only before the 1st vtune run?
5. Open the DataMaster program and select Record Vtune data.
Now when i open my data master program i select file and then record vtune data. I then name the file what ever i want. This is just where the vtune recorded file will go, right.
6. Record Vtune data while you ride the bike.
So at this point i would start the bike then click on Start? This would start the recording? I then would just drive around? How long should i drive for? WHat type of driving should i do? When done just hit stop? I will be running a laptop in a backpack since this is the easyest way to carry it. Do i need to see the video screen while driving? Or can it be done my way?
7. Open the Vtune Program and select your calibration and data mater files.
My question is the Calibration the original canned map i started with CAE176-03-A0 and then the data master files that are saved from when i was running the bike? Now if i made 10 files whe i was driving the bike, do i only use the last run file?
8. Click on Generate Tune to generate the new map MT7 file.
Where do you click on Generat Tune?
9. Program this New MT7 file into the ecm.
Will the new file be an MT7? Even though it started as a MT8 file?
10. Repeat steps 4-9 severeral times until the vtune maps have mostly white cells.
11. Restore the AFR and PE Enable RPM to their original value and program this final calibration back into the bike.
Am i to assume that AFR changes arent done automatically since its now asking to restore them back to the original tune?
12. If desired, make AFR and other adjustments.

Will this make auto corrections to the AFR? Will i have to make manual changes after making runs? If i 1st change all the cells for AFR to 14.6 wont it run way to lean to do the vtune runs. After i do a vtune run will the cells for afr change automatically?

Last edited by pontiac69; 07-14-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
Ok i think i am going to install the canned map that Doc recommends, CAE176-03-A0.MT8. I then will put on a backpack with my laptop and make some vtune runs. Now i have been reading this tuning guide and have a question.

The basic steps say this:
1. Set up laptop for data collection on the bike.
2. Open mastertune and back up your original cal.
3. Select your starting MT7 cal and setup for vtune.
Here is my 1st question. My starting tune is an MT8 calibration. And they say start with a MT7 claibration. What does it mean set it up for vtune?
4. Program the Vtune calibration into the ECM and exit Mastertune.
Does this mean just load the file you selected to start with and program your ecm with it?
5. Open the DataMaster program and select Record Vtune data.
Now when i open my data master program i select file and then record vtune data. I then name the file what ever i want. This is just where the vtune recorded file will go, right.
6. Record Vtune data while you ride the bike.
So at this point i would start the bike then click on Start? This would start the recording? I then would just drive around? How long should i drive for? WHat type of driving should i do? When done just hit stop?
7. Open the Vtune Program and select your calibration and data mater files.
My question is the Calibration the original canned map i started with CAE176-03-A0 and then the data master files that are saved from when i was running the bike? Now if i made 10 files whe i was driving the bike, do i only use the last run file?
8. Click on Generate Tune to generate the new map MT7 file.
Where do you click on Generat Tune?
9. Program this New MT7 file into the ecm.
Will the new file be an MT7? Even though it started as a MT8 file?
10. Repeat steps 4-9 severeral times until the vtune maps have mostly white cells.
11. Restore the AFR and PE Enable RPM to their original value and program this final calibration back into the bike.
At what starting point did it ask me to change the AFR and chane the Power Enrichemnt mode number to 10000 rpm setting. Looking at it now it defaults to 4300. Was i suposed to do this after i programed the ecm with the map and then change the AFR number 14.6 to the whole table. And change the PE mode number to 10k? I am a little confused when this was supposed to happen.
12. If desired, make AFR and other adjustments.

Will this make auto corrections to the AFR? Will i have to make manual changes after making runs?
you will use the mt8 files the direction were just written up when the mt7 were the newest files. So no effect on using the mt8 files. Once you actually start things will become clearer as there are promts to tell you what to do and buttons to click ie the generate tune and save files etc. You will need to drive around for 40 minutes or so and oeprate in all different driving conditons ie low low load high load, low rpms high rpms. It works best if you have a long steep hill close by. It took me several rides to cover everything. Literally start in neighbor hoods or areas where there are no cars and start at idle and shift thru the gears at idel staying in each gear for a while and the work your rpms up in each gear. Once you actually start you review the historgram you will see what you ned to do.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Don't forget to set your cam numbers via a cam analysis before your VTune runs.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-14-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

Could you tell more on this cam numbers. I went to estimator and it says this is a good starting point. You know i thought i kind a had a good feeling about the vtune and now you throw this at me. How come it doesnt say this in the "basic" vtune steps.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Could you tell more on this cam numbers. I went to estimator and it says this is a good starting point. You know i thought i kind a had a good feeling about the vtune and now you throw this at me. How come it doesnt say this in the "basic" vtune steps.
You will need to get your answer from TTS about what is says in the manual.

There is a new one out so hit your updater and download the new stuff if you haven't already.

After you save your factory calibration. Flash your starter calibration.

Open datamaster and select record cam tune data. Warm up the bike then hit record. Let it idle for a few minutes (3-5) then stop the recording. Save and close the file then turn off your bike.

Find the saved file and open it. Go to View, Camshaft analyzer then select IVO. Hit the analyze button. Paste a screen shot here.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

I did an update the other day so i assume i have the updated software. Where do i flash my starter calibration. WHat does this do?

I have an email into Doc about the Cam selector.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

I have an email into Doc about the Cam selector.
Tell Doc he drinks too much coffee.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok i just went out and hooked up the laptop and started to record vtune run. Once engine temp came up to par everything went green except the AFR. That stayed yellow and so it just kept saying waiting.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information