Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
(note...if you have someone tune it for you, get a copy of the original Harley map and a copy of the finished tuned map all on a thumb drive).
I've had some discussions lately with some folks (a couple tuners I LIKE, and a parts MFG)... and it seems that there are TWO kind of dyno guys. If you go with TTS (my top choice for sure) or go with SEPST, or even Power Vision.... here's the deal: Some dyno tuners will NOT give you the finished map when done, nor will they give you the original MTE file for YOUR bike.

BEWARE of this practice. Ask the tuner in question FIRST. Do NOT assume.

I would NOT use a tuner that didn't give me MY MTE nor the tune I paid for.

REMEMBER... if the tuner doesn't give you YOUR MTE nor YOUR tune... you cannot revert to stock, nor adjust the tune (that YOU paid for!) in any fashion if an issue or upgrade arises.

As a 'safety' measure.... if you buy a tuner, but are going to have a dyno tune... it will pay off for YOU to at least hook up the tuner (it's really quite easy) and figure out how to download and SAVE your original tune yourself. Save that MTE file in a COUPLE different places, too. On the laptop... sure... but laptops blow up, so on a couple different thumb drives, too. Save one of those with your car titles, etc. That original tune is VERY important. On this board... folks like the Wiz or Gary can walk one right through the process with NO problem. It truly IS easy to download and save that MTE file.

Folks like member Topcat, right NOW do not wish to 'mess' with tuning, and that's fine. But... as a lot of us know, that changes for a whole lotta folks further down the line.

I, myself, would nowadays get in WRITING from the tuner before I did any business with him... in regards to getting copies of my tune and my MTE file.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-15-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
TopKat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pine Tree & Wurk Truk. Great advice. I do have some mechanical ability
and I've been messin around with computers for years so I'll give some serious thought
to installing the TTS myself. I guess there's the fear factor of "what if I dont get it
right and cant put the bike back to stock so I can ride". Time to step out of the box
again.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKat
Thanks Pine Tree & Wurk Truk. Great advice. I do have some mechanical ability
and I've been messin around with computers for years so I'll give some serious thought
to installing the TTS myself. I guess there's the fear factor of "what if I dont get it
right and cant put the bike back to stock so I can ride". Time to step out of the box
again.
Please make sure you purchase the USB cable kit from TTS. Although others have tried a generic USB/Serial converter cable and have had success it's best to get the TTS cables.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 AM
gd55
Cruiser

HTML Code:
why skip the 5 minutecam step?
You talked me into it.I'll give it a try this weekend.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 AM
TopKat
Advanced

2 more questions:

1. The mileage I'm getting is amazing and I dont want to loose
that after I install the TTS.

2. How easy/difficult is the instillation on a Dyna?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

1. The mileage I'm getting is amazing and I dont want to loose
that after I install the TTS.
Done properly your mileage will be good. "Amazing" might be too lean.

2. How easy/difficult is the instillation on a Dyna?
As long as you take the time to read the directions, easy. Once you start to use it, it will just get easier.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 PM
bikebuilderdude
Advanced

So I decided to put my stock mufflers back on till I can find an exhaust system I like and loaded the stock map back in with my TTS Mastertune, you talk about lean. After 5 minutes of warming up the bike the head pipes were starting to glow orange. So I loaded back in the map I was using for my Rush 2" baffle mufflers and what a difference. No more orange glow and runs a lot better. Anyone else notice the stock map being that lean?

Last edited by bikebuilderdude; 06-19-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:41 PM
2012UltraLimited
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@ Mr Wizard, not sure if you have an answer ( or any other TTS gurus) but I am contemplating buying and tuning my 2004 CVO SE Deuce with the TTS tuner. Is there any problems using this tuner with an 2004?. No 02 sensors etc. I am OK with a computer and figure I can get a decent base map if I take my time. The bike is stock ( 95 inch SE CVO from factory stock TC88 heads) except I added a Fatcat 2-1 two days ago. Thanks in advance for your answers....

Old 06-18-2011, 04:09 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004CVOSEDEUCE
@ Mr Wizard, not sure if you have an answer ( or any other TTS gurus) but I am contemplating buying and tuning my 2004 CVO SE Deuce with the TTS tuner. Is there any problems using this tuner with an 2004?. No 02 sensors etc. I am OK with a computer and figure I can get a decent base map if I take my time. The bike is stock ( 95 inch SE CVO from factory stock TC88 heads) except I added a Fatcat 2-1 two days ago. Thanks in advance for your answers....
i think you can get a ecm from an 05 or 06 that is O2 compatible and then put O22 sensors in your headers and vtune. If you are just wanting to do open loop should not be a problem with the stock ecm but then you give up the vtune capabilities.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
i think you can get a ecm from an 05 or 06 that is O2 compatible and then put O22 sensors in your headers and vtune. If you are just wanting to do open loop should not be a problem with the stock ecm but then you give up the vtune capabilities.
This is correct. You can check the last two digits of your ECM part number to see if it is 05. If your bike was made late in 04 you might lucky if you want to add 02 sensors.

Regardless, the TTS will still be a good choice. If you stay open loop all you need is a gas analyzer sniffer to set your VE tables. You can do everything else yourself.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information