Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
ksblender
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frydaddy96
Just to expound a bit on the IVO and lambda. On another forum, Mr. Cole says(my words not his exactly) try either number and see what your engine likes better. On my bike, the estimator for the 255 cam comes out with a 5 and 2 but the DUH205 has 3 and 2. When I run the cam data, it has a slight break at 3 and a steeper break at 4. When I get time to do more tuning I will try the 4 just to see if there is any difference. As for lambda, .977 and .981 will keep the ECM in closed loop, but he says .981 is the better to use.

Steve
I have almost the same setup as frydaddy96, 08 Ultra with 96" and 255 cams. When I ran the cam data, at first glance it looks like the first break is at 3 with a steeper break at 4. Then I used a straight edge on it and it actually has a slight break at 2. I read a post from Steve Cole on another forum that you should use the number wherever the first break is no matter how small.

I loaded DUH205 and changed the settings to 4 and 2 to more closely match the estimator numbers of 5 and 2. Started up and the bike idled like crap! Changed the numbers to 3 and 2 and reloaded the map and bike idled and ran much better. I plan to try my cam data test result numbers of 2 and 2 tomorrow and see how she runs. If I don't like the result, I'll probably go back to 3 and 2 and start V-Tuning from there.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 PM
gdaustin
Advanced

I just got done running the cam tune with my bike and the graph looks identical to the one in the directions. I set mine to 5 but then had to quit. I have heard a few people state that if they do not go one number less the bike idles like crap. I was wondering if this is because you have to re-run the v-tune with the new values to set the ve tables correctly then it should idle fine. I will know more tomorrow when I start mine up with 5 selected. If it runs like crap I will try and vtune it and see what happens. If it does not correct it I will go to a 4 and vtune again.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
Nick, I was wondering what the factor was that made your setting best at 4 instead of 5. I tried both 4 and 5 on my bike and it seemed to run the same on either IVO setting after the Vtunes. Thought maybe I missed a little something in how it was running that I may need to recheck based on your input.
If it runs fine for you at 5 after the v-tunes, just leave it. My experience, I tried the base of 4 and runs at 5 with my bike. I took data with TTS and came up with most of the stock calibration's VE maps. The base DTA044 cal for my bike had VE values very close to the stock calibration. With IVO set to 4 it required very little correction after V-tuning with my combo, however with IVO set to 5 there were substantial changes to the VE tables, 15-20% in the idle region. The difference was substantial enough that the engine struggled to idle before v-tuning with the setting at 5. That to me indicates the setting of 4 is closest to the stock calibration, and my bike with slipons and an a/c shouldn't need much more than the stock cal with very minor corrections anyway.

Also looking at the graph, your inflection in the trendline starts at 5. That alone to me indicates the choices are 4 or 5 for IVO. 6 is too late.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

i went with the 3 2 with the 255 cams. The first break looks like its at three for me.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

After tuning or helping to tune 7 different bikes in two weeks using the Cam Selector/Estimator and Cam Analyzer I can say that if you have stock cams there is no need to run the Cam Data recording. Just use the Estimator and follow the written instructions.

If you have aftermarket cams, high compression and head work run the Cam Data and the Analyzer then take the first upsweap number.

(Bold talk huh?)

I've had better success with idle, economy and power doing it this way. Doing it any other way creates excessive knock retard that is very difficult to remove. Run your data recordings and check for knock retard....

Old 04-28-2011, 08:19 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Wood 555 cams
I had the IVO at 4 and it idled rough. I then tried 2 because the reflection started at 2, the bike lost power.
You guys recamended the IVO at 3 were the most gain of deflection, The bike idles smoother and has its power back.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
After tuning or helping to tune 7 different bikes in two weeks using the Cam Selector/Estimator and Cam Analyzer I can say that if you have stock cams there is no need to run the Cam Data recording. Just use the Estimator and follow the written instructions.

If you have aftermarket cams, high compression and head work run the Cam Data and the Analyzer then take the first upsweap number.

(Bold talk huh?)

I've had better success with idle, economy and power doing it this way. Doing it any other way creates excessive knock retard that is very difficult to remove. Run your data recordings and check for knock retard....

Sounds to be consistent with what I found. Looks like for stock cams do as you say and just use the estimator or use 1 less than what the analyzer graph shows (this seems to be the same as the estimator value) for the IVO value.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve Cole says you need to or should do the cam analyzer even with stock cams if you are using the MT8. It takes only 3 minutes so why not do it.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 AM
gdaustin
Advanced

If I use the estimator with stock cams (12 ATDC, 30 ABDC) it says to use 7 and 2. I have not heard anyone using those numbers before. I guess I can try them this morning abd see but do those numbers sound right or am I off on the stock cam values for the estimator? Thanks.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdaustin
If I use the estimator with stock cams (12 ATDC, 30 ABDC) it says to use 7 and 2. I have not heard anyone using those numbers before. I guess I can try them this morning abd see but do those numbers sound right or am I off on the stock cam values for the estimator? Thanks.
I would also do the CAMtune and see what it indicates for the IVO setting. Compare this to the estimator. My CAMtune analyzer gave me a 5 and the estimator gave me a 4 for the IVO setting. Both seemed to run fine on my 07 Ultra.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information