Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
does it matter what gear(s) you use? is it better to use lower or higher or does it matter? thanks
I don't want to sound cryptic but all that would depend on what VTune cell you are working on. At low speeds, low RPM's, high kPa I use a gear or two higher for increasing the load so I can get to the higher kPa areas. I may use 2nd or 3rd gear to get higher RPM's without the higher MPH.

Some try to use rear brake to create a load... I don't recommend this as it will burn up your rotor and pads. If you don't have a large hill to climb then grab a passenger, shift into a higher gear and slowly twist the throttle and repeat. It takes 30 data hits in a cell to turn it green and that could be anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds or longer.

I use all the gears depending on what areas of the calibration I am working on.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
B.... We have plenty of room and a furnished guest house if you can't stand my snoring echoing though the house. Plenty of bike/trike parking. We can put your trike on the lift in the morning and finish the tune later that day.
Thanks Bud,
We'll probably plan our trip up after the bad season is over here in November. Got a call this AM that wifey may be loosing her job, so we'll have to see how that all works out. Been trying to keep up with the thread, but my question is still not addressed. How do we tune our Trikes without a dyno using the MT 8 files with cam timing and the IVO's? Do we just dump the data and V-Tune?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Thanks Bud,
We'll probably plan our trip up after the bad season is over here in November. Got a call this AM that wifey may be loosing her job, so we'll have to see how that all works out. Been trying to keep up with the thread, but my question is still not addressed. How do we tune our Trikes without a dyno using the MT 8 files with cam timing and the IVO's? Do we just dump the data and V-Tune?
Hate to hear about the job issue... hopefully all will be OK !

Start with a new .mt8. There is no need to copy/paste anything out of your .mt7. The new .mt8 files have some internal changes that help so dump your .mt7 and start over with an .mt8.

There is no way at this time for you to set the IVC (intake valve closing) without being able to keep the bike under a load at 3500RPM's at the right kPa without a Dyno but there are only three settings... 1, 2 or 3. Recommended is 3 factory setting and there is a cam tool that will let you enter your opening and closing information. This cam tool will tell you what to set the IVC and the IVO.

Now, the IVO... (intake valve opening) All you do is flash your starting calibration and warm up the trike. Start Datamaster and select Cam Analyzer data. Let your trike idle for a few minutes and stop the data recording. Select the Analyzer and there will popup a graph, as seen in the manual. The graph is set to a X and Y axis. The numbers on the bottom range from 1 - 5. You will see your graph suddenly raise up at a number on the graph, that is the number you select for the IVO. It is also OK to select one number lower, this is what I did and my cams idle smoother.

Once you set the cam selection in your tuning constants tables you set up your VTune calibration as always... Do your Datamaster VTune recordings as normal. If you change your cam selector at any time you will need to start over on your VTunes.

I haven't had the time to get into the EGR stuff and the Baro selections yet but still need to study up on that. TTS says you can leave it alone and be fine but says if you use the EGR settings to smooth the VE tables you can pick up a little more low end TQ and smooth the motor a little under 60 kPa.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 04-18-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Hate to hear about the job issue... hopefully all will be OK !

Start with a new .mt8. There is no need to copy/paste anything out of your .mt7. The new .mt8 files have some internal changes that help so dump your .mt7 and start over with an .mt8.

There is no way at this time for you to set the IVC (intake valve closing) without being able to keep the bike under a load at 3500RPM's at the right kPa without a Dyno but there are only three settings... 1, 2 or 3. Recommended is 3 factory setting and there is a cam tool that will let you enter your opening and closing information. This cam tool will tell you what to set the IVC and the IVO.

Now, the IVO... (intake valve opening) All you do is flash your starting calibration and warm up the trike. Start Datamaster and select Cam Analyzer data. Let your trike idle for a few minutes and stop the data recording. Select the Analyzer and there will popup a graph, as seen in the manual. The graph is set to a X and Y axis. The numbers on the bottom range from 1 - 5. You will see your graph suddenly raise up at a number on the graph, that is the number you select for the IVO. It is also OK to select one number lower, this is what I did and my cams idle smoother.

Once you set the cam selection in your tuning constants tables you set up your VTune calibration as always... Do your Datamaster VTune recordings as normal. If you change your cam selector at any time you will need to start over on your VTunes.

I haven't had the time to get into the EGR stuff and the Baro selections yet but still need to study up on that. TTS says you can leave it alone and be fine but says if you use the EGR settings to smooth the VE tables you can pick up a little more low end TQ and smooth the motor a little under 60 kPa.
Is this necessary even for stock cams?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
Is this necessary even for stock cams?
Since there is no information in the TTS manual for relating their default cam selector settings to any stock cam then my answer would be YES.

Find the opening and closing * of your stock cam and enter it into the sliding scale of the Cam Selector "Estimator" as directed and get your numbers.

As far as changing from an .mt7 to an .mt8 file.... I know there have been changes to these files internally that will help your bike run better. So, if there is a .mt8 file available, run it.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:31 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

regarding the cam tool, is it necessary if a person is running stock cams and using MT8 cals?

Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Collect cam tune data and run the analyzer to set your IVO. It only takes a couple of minutes. Then you will know the setting for your bike.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
willie91k
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ivo

Can't you just use the IVO off of the cam card?
or do i need to run cam tool?

Thanks willie

Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Okay the FM 107 will be finished this afternoon, I have it tuned to the 106 motor, keeping the same cams heads, do I do a complete new tune or just update take the same map and update it with some Vtunes?

I looked at the new maps but cant figure out what cam matches the S&S 570 best any ideas?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Okay the FM 107 will be finished this afternoon, I have it tuned to the 106 motor, keeping the same cams heads, do I do a complete new tune or just update take the same map and update it with some Vtunes?

I looked at the new maps but cant figure out what cam matches the S&S 570 best any ideas?
This is on the Super G, right?

Pick a .mt8 calibration like... DQA176

Go to the Tuning Constants Table, change your Cubic Inches to 107 to start with then go to Cam Selector. You will already see the intake open is set to 20 and the intake closing is set to 40. Your 570's are 20* and 40*. Hit the Transfer Settings button, save this file and flash this file to your bike. Start up the bike and let it warm up to see how it idles. You will need to do the VTuning all over again.

I assume you are taking the Ultra north?

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information