Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Wiz,
Glad to hear you are active again and on the road to recovery. Jumped over here as I have the same question. I re-downloaded the DUH cal we did at Doc's and played with the throttle progression a bit more. Wound up with about a 2mpg increase in FM. My Dealer is bringing her home today after the First service, a trunk seal replacement, oil temp guage replacement and a detail.

They are very impressed with the way the bike runs and we are in negotiations with them to do some tuning (they have no dyno) and they currently use only canned HD maps.

Our problem is we are at sea level here and have a difficult time being able to load the bike to hit the cells properly. It's not like the rolling countryside up in Minneola. Any ideas except for moving to Atlanta?
Brian....
Big Rocks and a Bungee Cord? Pile on five of your buddies and stay under 80 kPa? Put the front wheel against a brick wall and shift through the gears?

Or

You could come visit.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Big Rocks and a Bungee Cord? Pile on five of your buddies and stay under 80 kPa? Put the front wheel against a brick wall and shift through the gears?

Or

You could come visit.
I was kind of thinking the same thing or find a duty 250# chick for V-Tuning!! I'd like to come visit in a heartbeat if the weather will co-operate. Hurricane season starts on 6-1-11, so we have to be careful about getting too far away. We'll ride with rainsuits if need be, I'm not renting a trailer ever again unless I have to. Are there reasonable accomodations close by?

My best friend from SC who used to be the Dynojet operator here at another Indy is coming down for a week on 4-30. We'll see what we can do between now and whenever we can get together. We also owe him a trip to SC this fall when our weather breaks, so Atlanta is kind of on the way in a manner of trip planning.

I might just bring some 555'S and a set of Black Ops with me, we'll see how the funds hold out. You are a good friend and have been very helpful. Some members just do not know how much. Hope you get the feeling in your arm back quickly and if you need help, do not hesitate to call.

With Best Regards,

Brian....

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 04-15-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I will be passing through Sat the 23rd

Or

You could come visit.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

B.... We have plenty of room and a furnished guest house if you can't stand my snoring echoing though the house. Plenty of bike/trike parking. We can put your trike on the lift in the morning and finish the tune later that day.

J... You are more than welcome to use us as an overnight stop, we are 15 minutes from Paul. I already know where ya going. It's less than 4 hours from our place and that's if you take all side roads though the Mtn's. I already know you normally travel outside of a group.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:37 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Start with slow speeds and lower RPM's. Work your way up with each ride.

After 82kPa or WOT (wide open throttle) the ECM is out of closed loop and there are no readings by the 02 sensors anyway. No need to haul ****. Be safe, take it easy and do your best to fill in all the blocks you can from 80kPa down.
Looking for tips on this so I live in an area where I can pretty much 0-85mph without much problem. i can find a few hills but nothing really steep and long. what gear should I be in most of the time? How long should I make my runs? I can go over an hour on my netbook battery probably close to 2 hours. thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by mtclassic
Looking for tips on this so I live in an area where I can pretty much 0-85mph without much problem. i can find a few hills but nothing really steep and long. what gear should I be in most of the time? How long should I make my runs? I can go over an hour on my netbook battery probably close to 2 hours. thanks
Let's try to break a myth. When tuning in your closed loop areas in your VTune calibration you don't need to get into haul **** mode. There is no need to ride like a madman or put yourself in a bad situation.

Casual riding speeds will give you awesome cell readings. When getting up in the higher kPa cells you drop out of closed loop... there is no 02 sensor readings there for VTune. Even during casual riding you will not be able to get readings in every cell, it's impossible. How can you be in 80kPa at 2000 RPM's long enough to gather data. How many times are you going to be riding in that cell? Probably never.

To get loads in the upper kPa you can fake an uphill load by shifting up a gear and twisting the throttle. To get loads in the upper RPM's in lower kPa you downshift and feel like an idiot but it will do the job with lower MPH. There is no need to hurry. There will be data written in these cells and it will not go away. Try to repeat what you are doing several times and the data will eventually turn that cell green.

Try not to go crazy with your data recording times. Yes, you can record for a very long time but why? Will your data change while you are cruising around in the same RPM and kPa for an hour? Probably not and if it does it won't be much. I believe I've been told that any more than 35,000 data hits will degrade your recording anyway. Personally I try to keep data hits under 8000. My average is 4500. Some laptops will not record over 6000 hits due to one physical reason or another. So, may as well keep it less than 30 minute runs and do as many of those as you can.

Caution... running a VTune calibration will lean your bike out so it's going to run hot. There is another reason to keep your data hits low. If you feel an excessive amount of heat pull over and stop your recording. Bring a soda or bottle water with you in case you need to stop for a while in a sparse area.

Now, I have a netbook with a SSD drive and my average battery time is 14 hours. Maybe one day I'll see just how long I can record with my normal calibration is in...

Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Sporty 48
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Seen This?

Did the data collection using the existing tune.
Attempted to generate a new tune using the existing tune and the data just collected, this is the error message I received.
"The MT7 Calibration is not compatible with this version of Vtune."

Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
I was kind of thinking the same thing or find a duty 250# chick for V-Tuning!!
Be carefull if vtuning at night.

Originally Posted by Sporty 48
Did the data collection using the existing tune.
Attempted to generate a new tune using the existing tune and the data just collected, this is the error message I received.
"The MT7 Calibration is not compatible with this version of Vtune."
Just a shot in the dark but I think you will have to copy and paste your old MT7 into an MT8 as the older MT6's have been changed to MT7's.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 PM
gdaustin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I have a few dumb questions. If you have your bike tuned with a mt7 map, do you need to start over with the new mt8 or is there some sort of conversion you can run then re flash? Second, if you have saved your original ECM settings with the previous(mt7) version of the software and now are running the new(mt8) version have you lost the ability to restore back to original settings in the ECM? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

To move to an MT8 just copy "multiple" tables and paste into the suitable MT8. Just remember if you are going to collect IVO data,and you should, do this before any vtuning or it could be a waste.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information