Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I run an AFR table that was all open loop. I changed my cruise range to closed loop.

I'd like to discuss timing as well. Been following Cole's directions and pushing timing ahead, removing timing or adding fuel when I get knock. I'm not getting knock, but some that have looked at my map think I am running way too much timing.
Ouch and the timing topic is interesting but as I have posted my opinion before concerning the upswing of a timing curve... timing should be adjusted when on a dyno so you can closely watch the power bands and see how your adjustments react to them being up or down and how it effects everything else such as smoothness and rideability. Once done the VE's can be finalized as timing will effect these tables. Again, just my opinion, advancing your timing until it knocks is not the correct procedure as this may rob your motor of not only power but efficiency as well.

Steve has a procedure to follow but I think this may only be a suggestion and it is also said once knock is found you must reduce the cell down 2*. He has told me that there was no less than 16 hours spent and three different types of fuel used on his timing tables and I, for one, am not smart enough to know all the characteristics for properly tuning a bike. However, I do consider myself as a good pupil that likes to question some of the TTS procedures so that I may learn more but never to question his ability or the TTS as a product.

Sorry I got a bit long winded.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
quick thank you mr wizard

your suggestions worked great!
Way cool!

Now... when you flash your last calibration it will take about three tanks of gas before your ECM sets it's adaptive learning and tweaks the tune itself. Your MPG and smoothness will improve and improve.

Enjoy my new friend.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 PM
cooper57M
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Wizard

Can you reccommend a starting map for The andrews 48H cam. My setup would be for 08 96 CI (stock compression),adjustable pushrods, se slipon mufflers. The specs for this cam are as follows

Andrew 48H cam specs

13 - Intake Open
29 - Intake Close
43 - Exhaust Open
15 - Exhaust Close
222 - Intake Duration
238 - Exhaust Duration
28 - Overlap
98 - Intake Lobe Center
104- Exhaust Lobe Center
101 - Lobe Separation Angle
0.548 - Intake Lift
0.548 - Exhaust Lift
0.153 - Intake Lift TDC
0.163 - Exhaust Lift TDC

Thanks in advance

Last edited by cooper57M; 01-04-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by cooper57M
Mr Wizard

Can you reccommend a starting map for The andrews 48H cam. My setup would be for 08 96 CI (stock compression),adjustable pushrods, se slipon mufflers. The specs for this cam are as follows

Andrew 48H cam specs

13 - Intake Open
29 - Intake Close
43 - Exhaust Open
15 - Exhaust Close
222 - Intake Duration
238 - Exhaust Duration
28 - Overlap
98 - Intake Lobe Center
104- Exhaust Lobe Center
101 - Lobe Separation Angle
0.548 - Intake Lift
0.548 - Exhaust Lift
0.153 - Intake Lift TDC
0.163 - Exhaust Lift TDC

Thanks in advance
what bike? Touring, Softail, Dyna?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
cooper57M
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08 street glide

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by cooper57M
08 street glide
TA205-002 will be fine to start, you could use the TD205-002 also. Your cam profile will work fine with either calibration.

-wiz

Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Grillfish
I've read all of the 190 pages over the past few days and love this info. I'm still doing my recordngs/tune and have a gerneral question...

Why would someone enter in a larger ci than what they have (i.e. use 103 vs 96)? Is it to ensure they do not hit the VE max value and have to start over again OR is there some other tuning reason?

Thanks!
There are combinations that run out of room on the VE tables due to ported heads, or just all around better breathing. There are 2 ways you can adjust for this condition, one is increase the CI and the other is tell it the injector is smaller either one will pulse them longer.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:25 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Ouch and the timing topic is interesting but as I have posted my opinion before concerning the upswing of a timing curve... timing should be adjusted when on a dyno so you can closely watch the power bands and see how your adjustments react to them being up or down and how it effects everything else such as smoothness and rideability. Once done the VE's can be finalized as timing will effect these tables. Again, just my opinion, advancing your timing until it knocks is not the correct procedure as this may rob your motor of not only power but efficiency as well.

Steve has a procedure to follow but I think this may only be a suggestion and it is also said once knock is found you must reduce the cell down 2*. He has told me that there was no less than 16 hours spent and three different types of fuel used on his timing tables and I, for one, am not smart enough to know all the characteristics for properly tuning a bike. However, I do consider myself as a good pupil that likes to question some of the TTS procedures so that I may learn more but never to question his ability or the TTS as a product.

Sorry I got a bit long winded.
Good explanation. Timing can be a daunting thing to mess with when you have no way of measuring progress or lack of. There are times where a couple degrees less timing will show an increase in either HP or Torque, on the street its a tough thing to measure.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Steve has a procedure to follow but I think this may only be a suggestion and it is also said once knock is found you must reduce the cell down 2*.
This is the procedure I have been following from the TTS manual.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Just got my TTS, looks like the SEST

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information