Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by xrn
The question regarding differences between the two documents, ‘V-Tune’ and ‘Using MasterTune and DataMaster’ defining which tables to change when setting up for a DataMaster run was asked a few weeks ago, but I would like to ask the forum a few questions based on the response.
I have used TTS on my 2010 Ultra-Big Sucker-Jackpot mufflers-FM 2.1.2 headers. I installed each individually (had to wait for the headers), and used the mt7 file ctd009-01-b2.mt7 as my final baseline when all were installed. The bike runs well, I still get >40mpg, and only have slight pops when changing down (I blip the throttle when doing this). The last V-Tune produced just a couple of faint pink cells. I am considerig further configuration changes to remove all pops. The previous response to the question regarding which document (hence which tables to use) gave the answer to use the V-Tune document. My question is why is there a difference if both documents came from TTS?. As the ‘Using Master Tune’ document is a later version, I would expect this to have the latest setup procedure. The procedure to expand the VE table results also differs. Again, which is the best process to use, and why?. The V-Tune process seems easier.
I tuned my bike using the ‘Using MasterTune…” document. Is there anything to be gained by taking my last .mt7 file (the one I used as a final configuration from my last V-Tune), making the table changes as per the V-Tune document, and doing some more DataMaster runs?. OK, you are probably saying if the bike runs well why change it?, I am a retired engineer and have a picky brain. Thanks for any input.
The CTD009 is fine but with the 2-1-2 FM pipes I would have used the CTC009 because it is set up for 2-1-2. How is it set up differently? There are several hundred data points within the software that the end user can not see or change.

Pick the closest calibration to your bike modification and go from there. Obviously there can't be a perfect calibration for all bikes. If there isn't one for you then start with the year model first then choose the cams by matching the intake open/closing timing, change the CI in the tuning constants... and on and on.

If the documents you speak of are the TTS Mastertune users guide and the VTune without a Dyno... The VTune without a Dyno was written a year and a half ago by Doc in Florida, a TTS trainer, while the TTS user's guide was written by Steve Cole of TTS. There is more updated info and tunes completed everyday so updates are very important. If you notice in the VTune without a Dyno there is no mention of increasing the PE Mode to 10,000 RPM's for VTuning where in the TTS user guide there is on page 50 section 4.3.3. I would use the TTS Mastertune users guide as they are more up to date.

Blending procedure if fairly simple but most do not blend at all. If you are not able to VTune in those areas then there isn't really any need to blend them unless you just want to. Also you may note, the VTuning software will not give you adjustments from 25 kPa and lower nor will it give you readings above 85 kPa (this will vary) so blending is up to the user if you are going to spend some time there. It comes down to some say potatoe and some say potato.

There are certain tables in the TTS calibration that can and will help you remove decel pop, give you better off the line throttle response and give you better overall throttle response as well as better idle control and temperature related spark adjustments.

Here is the recommended sequence. VTune data gathering and complete your VTune calibration. Change to DataMaster data runs and check for timing issues, fix these timing issues and adjust other timing cells for the best performance. Do a final VTune as timing adjustments will change some of the VE tables.

Of course this is a simplified response but it will give you a good running calibration. Tweaks are at the option of the user.

-wiz

Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 PM
xrn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the fast and detailed response. I initially used the CTC009 configuration with just the Big Sucker installed, and then the CTD009 for the headers as I interpreted the CTD009 for ‘Configuration: 1580 A/C and Factory 2:1:2 Exhaust’. That is, not using an aftermarket header. If will give me improved results, I may go back and do a run with that as the baseline and compare results. One thing with the TTS process is it is easy to change ECM configurations as long as you keep a record of all your .mt7 files, and also download from the ECM as a backup..
It is interesting you say to use the TTS Users Guide (which I did), as it has less tables overall than the V-Tune Guide. No changes to the AE and DE tables for instance.
I had wondered about blending as overkill, and will now pass on doing that. The VTune output covers my running areas pretty well.
Thanks again

Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Turning off the Accel/Decel feature is subjective and a nice conversation piece. I say it adds fuel/removes fuel during the VTune process and I don't want that so I zero out those tables as well. How is that any different than using the PE Mode that must be turned off?

The CTD is for race exhaust which includes True Duals. TD's moves your torque and HP band to the right which lowers your bottom end pull. The CTC uses 2-1-2 collector which is factory and aftermarket related. The 2-1-2 acts more like a 2-1 which gives you the best bottom end results as well as mid range. You will find the 2-1-2 will exhaust about 80% on the right and 20% on the left.

It's fun to contemplate the differences and possibilities.

enjoy

-wiz

Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Turning off the Accel/Decel feature is subjective and a nice conversation piece. I say it adds fuel/removes fuel during the VTune process and I don't want that so I zero out those tables as well. How is that any different than using the PE Mode that must be turned off?-wiz
As they are for transitional fuel they are active every time the throttle is moved.They also take the bike out of closed loop so no vtune data is collected when these tables are active. They are active every time the throttle is moved.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Hmmmmmmm...wondering if I can find a moderator to convert the 5000 helpful private emails from Wiz on my tuning to my post count here?????

Old 11-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tazzrider
Hmmmmmmm...wondering if I can find a moderator to convert the 5000 helpful private emails from Wiz on my tuning to my post count here?????
Sorry Tazz, you're SOL. My count is only about 6 emails but you will get the procedure down on the next run if you don't freeze to death.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

LOL...u count six "now"....oh but we're not done yet! ....lol Thanks again for your patience n knowledge.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM
xrn
Intermediate

Some really useful information flowing here, thanks guys. I think I will retune with the recommended mt7 file (great explanation there), new table settings. and compare results. This is my first crack at using TTS, I have had PCs on previous bikes, so it is a learning curve. Maybe out of thread context here, but does anyone know of a good TTS Dyno tuner in western WA?. It seems to be all PCs around here. One local dealer just changed hands and I noticed TTS software in the parts department recently. That’s for the future I think.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by xrn
Maybe out of thread context here, but does anyone know of a good TTS Dyno tuner in western WA?.
Click Here and look up Doc's in Florida. Call the number and ask him. He's the TTS trainer for the Dyno pro's. I heard he may be under the weather so he may not be there right now.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

XRN<
The harley shop in Fife Wa. Destination HD. TTS is the preferred tune method I dont know one way or the other how good they are I have not heard anything bad. I have bought 2 new bikes there I have mixed feelings some good some not so good. I may have them do a dyno tune in spring/early summer. "undecided" at this moment.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information