Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Avalanche123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Not necessarily..

Hook up a computer and get a data recording to see where your ping is happening in the RPM and kPa areas. Once you have the proper area you need to look at both the spark tables and the AFR tables to see what is going on.
And then what? How often does one modify their tune?
I guess I am wondering "when do you stop"? After my SERT tune yesterday, I left with the impression that I was done and there was no more tuning unless I change cams etc.....

I find this aspect very interesting...I think I will purchase a TTS but I'd like to know how much support there is for this product in Canada?

Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OIF08Streetglide
Well all you TTS Master Tuners, I have finally taken the plunge into TTS ownership. My first mission was to remove my PCIII and put everything back to stock. Since I didn't install this item I need to be sure I didn't miss anything. I disconnected the battery first and then removed the PCIII and plugged the factory connector back into the ECM. Then I removed the O2 eliminators and reconnected them back to the O2 sensors. Lastly I reconnected the battery. I seem to remember reading something about a start up process after the battery is disconnected but I don't remember the exact proceedure. Have I missed anything before I connect my laptop? I am leaning towards the UH205-002 map and changing the CID to 96.6 (1584cc) or 2nd choice is the YA205-002. Thoughts? My reasoning...UH205 is for a 103" but has a closer cam to my Andrews 26H cams. The YA205 is for the right size motor but has a bigger cam. If I understand what I read the closer cam is more important than the engine size. Thoughts? Jumping in with both feet this weekend.
I haven't worked with your configuration but from what I've read here and from the vendor and pro tuners is to pick the cam first, and then as close to the exhaust as you can. You can adjust for displacement and the other variables by changing parameters, but the only way to adjust for a cam is to change to another map.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalanche123
And then what? How often does one modify their tune?
I guess I am wondering "when do you stop"? After my SERT tune yesterday, I left with the impression that I was done and there was no more tuning unless I change cams etc.....

I find this aspect very interesting...I think I will purchase a TTS but I'd like to know how much support there is for this product in Canada?
The member was speaking of pinging and changing his spark temp calibration tables. His pinging may not be a temp issue but a spark table change that he did or it could be a AFR table change. It could also be he has modifications that are not correct for his calibration map that he choose. Hard to tell with so little information he provided. How hot is hot, what was his altitude, has he tuned his bike out of closed loop in the area where his pinging is occurring.

The only way to really see what is going on is for him to do a data run and reproduce his pinging. Find that ping in the data area and adjust it out, normally with the spark tables for that cylinder.

When do you stop? I've talked to guys that simply flash a TTS calibration to their bikes and do nothing else, they were happy as a clam. Others are more perfectionists and not only do VTunes for several hours but work their spark tables down to the .25 degree across the X and Y axis on both cylinders.

If you are the tinkering type, you can tinker forever. If your not and have a fairly basic bike build you simply install the calibration, do a few VTune runs and accept the changes, flash and ride. The timing tables on the TTS maps are will within safety limitations for most all bikes if you pick the proper calibration from the software.

I also see where you said you have a SERT. Is that the old SE Race Tuner or the Pro Tuner? Since you ride a 2010 I would think it is a Pro Tuner. If so, you can do basically the same thing as the TTS but run your SmartTune program and accept the changes. You can do data runs if you have pinging or if you want to sharpen your timing tables. Since you already have the SEST or SESPT, not the SERT stay with what you have and do your tweaking yourself if you think you really need it. There is plenty of support here no matter where you are in the world. You just have to be willing to get your laptop out and have some fun.

Sorry, got a little long winded...

Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I haven't worked with your configuration but from what I've read here and from the vendor and pro tuners is to pick the cam first, and then as close to the exhaust as you can. You can adjust for displacement and the other variables by changing parameters, but the only way to adjust for a cam is to change to another map.
+1

CC... was talking with a guy that had a cam in between two calibrations and he picked the larger cam profile. Because that calibration also had head work and piston adjustments his bike ran like crap at low end. He went back and choose the smaller adjusted calibration, VTuned then adjusted spark and his bike is very happy now.

Guess if you were to choose always take the smaller cam calibration of the two? Sometimes you can just go overboard with choosing the proper starting calibration map, yes?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Avalanche123
Cruiser

Wizard,

I do have the Pro Tuner but first, thanks for all that good info. I am under the impression that if I "tinker" with a laptop, I could void my warranty. I did ask the Tech at the HD dealer where I was having the work done if I could download that data onto a PC, what would I see.....he said, "a bunch of numbers" that would not make much sense"....I think I will buy the cable and see what happens. I will go scan my dyno sheet and post it here. You can let me know what you think.
Good stuff!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Is it me or did the 6 "new" 2011 DBW Maps listed on MasterTuneCalFileList v3.2 (MAP files ending in 044-1) not make it into the actual download Steve released yesterday, under BigTwin MAPS???????

I see the description of the tune and file number described on the Pdf. read only file, but they do not appear anywhere as drop down selections that you can obtain when opening the new v157 MasterTune.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Avalanche123
Wizard,

I do have the Pro Tuner but first, thanks for all that good info. I am under the impression that if I "tinker" with a laptop, I could void my warranty. I did ask the Tech at the HD dealer where I was having the work done if I could download that data onto a PC, what would I see.....he said, "a bunch of numbers" that would not make much sense"....I think I will buy the cable and see what happens. I will go scan my dyno sheet and post it here. You can let me know what you think.
Good stuff!
Tinkering with your laptop and changing your ECM SEST calibration will not change your warranty status, maybe your tuners warranty "IF" he put your bike on the dyno but not your MOCO warranty. Now if you flash a calibration to your bike that is not meant for your bike then that is a horse of a different color.

Ask your tuner if he just flashed a canned map or he actually did a dyno tune unless you already know. If a dyno run then take a flash drive with you and ask him for a copy for your records only.

Using the SEST software you can see what changes he made and use this to run SmartTunes but you must read and understand what you are doing.

I would then start another thread outside the TTS thread and let the SEST guys help you. It has been said... dyno sheets are just numbers, we don't ride dyno sheets so try not to put much faith in what the sheet says. You can look at the TQ and HP lines to see if there is a flat spot and this will help you diagnose any issues you have.

I hope this makes sense.

-wiz

Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 AM
joefriday
Advanced

Question, two bikes, two TTS Master tune, one Laptop. Has anyone ran into this? can you install the same program on one laptop twice. Maybe put each one in its own folder, run updates and tune each bike separate?

Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
user 9375875
Banned

Originally Posted by joefriday
Question, two bikes, two TTS Master tune, one Laptop. Has anyone ran into this? can you install the same program on one laptop twice. Maybe put each one in its own folder, run updates and tune each bike separate?
You only install Mastertune one time. The only item that changes is the interface that is connected to the bike and the calibration file that you want to use. The laptop and software can be used to program any bike - but the interface is "married" to a specific bike and can only be used to program that specific bike.

--Gary

Old 09-10-2010, 12:53 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joefriday

You can purchase a version of the TTS vehicle interface that will tune two bikes, less money than two single bike interfaces.

Its the the same software on the laptop regardless of how many bikes or how many vehicle interfaces you have, you can have hundreds of bikes if you like. You will name the tuning and map files you generate so you can identify the file belongs one bike or another, but there is nothing special otherwise on the laptop.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information