Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by RicMF
I clicked the RPM block to select all cells. Setting back to original *did* change many cells, but a large block remained at 14.6.
That large block in red are the original settings for closed loop. They may start at 750 RPM's and go through 4500 RPM's.. from 30 to 80 kpa for your map.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:44 PM
RicMF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I understand they're still in closed loop, but ...
Originally Posted by RicMF
My question is, in the new map after click "Set to Original", most of the cells are still at 14.6, so they're running in closed loop. I was expecting most of the cells to be open loop after tuning is performed, is this not the case? If not, then what's changing for those cells (well, for the engine operation points that the cells represent, as controlled by the map file)?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

I wantd to establish that you were actually in the original setting for your AFR and not still in the 14.6 across the board for VTuning. Tough to tell from here.

My question is, in the new map after click "Set to Original", most of the cells are still at 14.6, so they're running in closed loop. I was expecting most of the cells to be open loop after tuning is performed,
Why would you expect the cells to be in open loop after VTuning? You set it back to the "original" AFR table and the original table is mostly closed loop. . If you want to run in open loop you must manually change each cell. This will defeat the ECM's effect on your map by eliminating the feedback data from the 02 sensors.

If not, then what's changing for those cells (well, for the engine operation points that the cells represent, as controlled by the map file)?
VTune only changes the VE tables for the front and rear cylinders. You can view your changes in the VE tables by selecting Compare edits to original in the Table Comparison menu.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
RicMF
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I wantd to establish that you were actually in the original setting for your AFR and not still in the 14.6 across the board for VTuning. Tough to tell from here.
Sure, I totally understand. Logical question.

Why would you expect the cells to be in open loop after VTuning? You set it back to the "original" AFR table and the original table is mostly closed loop. . If you want to run in open loop you must manually change each cell. This will defeat the ECM's effect on your map by eliminating the feedback data from the 02 sensors.
I guess I'm still in "Power Commander" thinking; where the stock or dyno-generated maps force the values for the cells to open loop. I'm also under the impression that optimum AFR often isn't 14.6 across the board, and it's confusing to me to see the map still full of those values. I guess I'm not good at just trusting it's right, and want to make sure my time spent tuning is really getting me somewhere.

VTune only changes the VE tables for the front and rear cylinders. You can view your changes in the VE tables by selecting Compare edits to original in the Table Comparison menu.
Oh ok, I see. I'll spend some time comparing these tables tonight.

I like that I have these tools that let me visualize my bike's operation, now I just have to understand how best to take advantage of it. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 AM
ThaiTony
Advanced
Default EFI Upgrade

Hi Guys
I live in Thailand but at the moment I am in Algeria working. I just purchased a 2004 Night Train and it is being delivered while I am at work. It has a stock EFI and I want to purchase the TTS Mastertune as to be honest I don't fancy a Thai mechanic messing with my ride. I believe the '04 EFI does not have O2 sensors and therefore cannot make use of the V Tune. What does it take to upgrade to a later model EFI and fit the sensors to be able to use the closed loop for tuning. Sorry if this has been asked before but the thread is too big to go through all of it. I would like to stay with stock Harley parts and am not trying to create a racing bike just one I can maintain myself.
Cheers, Tony

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you can buy a kit from Doc, or some other outfit. The kit has the O2 sensors and cable harness, perhaps bungs to weld into the pipes. You will likely need a later model ECU. If no one chimes in with more info, I'll take a look at my archives when I get back to the house, but that won't be till tomorrow.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaiTony
Hi Guys
I live in Thailand but at the moment I am in Algeria working. I just purchased a 2004 Night Train and it is being delivered while I am at work. It has a stock EFI and I want to purchase the TTS Mastertune as to be honest I don't fancy a Thai mechanic messing with my ride. I believe the '04 EFI does not have O2 sensors and therefore cannot make use of the V Tune. What does it take to upgrade to a later model EFI and fit the sensors to be able to use the closed loop for tuning. Sorry if this has been asked before but the thread is too big to go through all of it. I would like to stay with stock Harley parts and am not trying to create a racing bike just one I can maintain myself.
Cheers, Tony
I personally have never used this, but some on this forum have and have had good results. If you do a bit of reading up on this you will find that you can make your own sensors and log data that can be applied to tools such as the PC or the SERT maps. This may save you from modifying your bike too much:

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan2.html

Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by TickTock
I personally have never used this, but some on this forum have and have had good results. If you do a bit of reading up on this you will find that you can make your own sensors and log data that can be applied to tools such as the PC or the SERT maps. This may save you from modifying your bike too much:

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan2.html
It works pretty well TT. The sampling tubes aren't that hard to make either.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/downl..._Tech_Note.pdf

Why can't a guy simply buy the stock 02 sensors, wire them up to the ECM and use the sampling tubes for VTune runs with the TTS without having to purchase a TSII with WEGO? Once complete he can remove the sampling tubes and sensors then set his closed loop AFR cells one click richer to open loop... bam... good to go

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 08-13-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 AM
ThaiTony
Advanced

Thanks Guys some interesting info there I wasn't aware of. Can anyone let me know how to contact Doc as I need to purchase the TTS anyway, thanks in advance.
Tony

Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by ThaiTony
Thanks Guys some interesting info there I wasn't aware of. Can anyone let me know how to contact Doc as I need to purchase the TTS anyway, thanks in advance.
Tony

1-352-404-6999 but they aren't in right now... must be Friday the 13th or sumpting. Tell him to send a cup of coffee to Thailand, that will get a good laugh out of him.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information