Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,617 Likes on 1,820 Posts

As I understand the software, VE calibration is done using acquired data, combined with the original map and V-tune to re-do the map. Once this is done, and you are satisfied the VE tables are accurately calibrated to the airflow of your combo, you can reset the AFR tables to give desired mix- ie: lean for cruise milage, richer for power, etc. The VE tables do not need recalibration unless you change the air flow of the engine, ( New pipes, bigger cam, displacement change, etc) IF the calibration was done correctly.
So, during calibration runs, I'd request 14.6 everywhere I'm allowed to on the AFR table, set the bias table to 742 to actually get 14.6, use the acquired data and VTune to make adjustments to the original map, repeat till satisfied, the reset the AFR table to where I want it ( Original settings are safe and reasonable). Then if you want the closed loop areas slightly richer ( cooling) or slightly leaner (milage) you may do so, without effecting the VE tables.
And I'd set 1% 2 points smaller than 2%, and set 100 % the same as 80%
HTH
Robin

Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after using testing the TTS system and comparing the changes made to the ecu against the ETV / EPS lab equipment I can say that the TTS system is spot on.
We did the VTune and found the MT7 files created during the 3 runs were right where they should be, with the final map we only gained 1 HP from further tuning with a dyno.
The folks at Mastertune and Steve have done a great job.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:37 AM
streetdjack
Advanced

To Rigidthumper :

I've made many Vtune sessions with different combos (as you said...) and different CLBs (from 468 to 720) and every time I recorded data on the final maps, I've found that changing the CLB value from the one that was used for the Vtune made the O2 integrator bouncing all around, instead of staying near 100 as it should if the VE tables were perfect.
For me, you shouldn't change the CLB after the V-tune, because It does influence the VE values. You've better made different Vtune sessions with different CLB and finally have maps according to one CLB and change them when you need to...
But that's only my opinion ... What do the gurus think about that ?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,672 Posts

If you change the CLB table you must redo the V-tune process. What you are doing is setting the VE tables to get the value you have in the CLB table. Once you've got that done the VE should be left alone. Further changes should be made inthe AFR tables to make it richer or leaner. This keep everything in the system centered up.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
streetdjack
Advanced

So my observations were right... thank you Steve !

How can I activate the reading of PE mode in the Status Bit Window ?

Last edited by streetdjack; 01-19-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: forgot one question
Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
If you change the CLB table you must redo the V-tune process. What you are doing is setting the VE tables to get the value you have in the CLB table. Once you've got that done the VE should be left alone. Further changes should be made in the AFR tables to make it richer or leaner. This keep everything in the system centered up.
I may be confused. Are you saying if I set the CLB tables to .798 after tuning ( to get the cruise AFR to 14.25 ) I'll void/change the rest of the tune?

Robin

I use the typical dyno method to tune VE tables as taught by HD SERT class.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,672 Posts

If your tune was properly done with the CLB set to 450 then you changed it to 798 your tune will be off and needs to be redone. Mind you this is when your trying to setup a closed loop bike not an open loop bike, there is a difference.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
yso191
Club Member

Robin,

Having spoken with Steve on this very topic, the CLB tables should be set to the desired AFR before flashing your bike with the initial map (before running Datamaster & VTune) and then left alone. Even after you are done with the final map and are resetting the other tables that you changed at the very beginning in order to do the process, you still leave the CLB table alone. The CLB table is "set it once and leave it."

Steve

Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

If I calibrate the VE tables using the dyno, in open loop, then reset the AFR table, the CLB shouldn't change the VEs, if my thinking is correct. As I understand it, once the VE tables have been calibrated, they should be accurate- ie: if I ask for 13.5 everywhere, and after adjusting the VE table, I get 13.5 (sniffed) everywhere, the VE table is calibrated. If I then set the AFR to 14, it should give me 14. If I set the AFR to 14.6, it should give me 14.6. If I have the CLB set to .798, then the system should change VEnew to give me 14.25 where the system is in closed loop. if not, there's some info missing.
Robin

Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when choosing a starter map from the files is it best to try and match engine displacement or is it more important to try and match cam profiles even if the engine may be a bit smaller, I know this question has been asked before in one of the many threads on tts but I am unable to find it so any info would be appreciated.

Last edited by CDN. RG; 01-20-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information