Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Magneto woes....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Springer Kid
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magneto woes....

Hi all, newbie here so go easy!!! I've got a 1964 sportster 900 and have been trying to figure out why I'm loosing spark. I had replaced the points and condensor before trying to start it. I took the mag out and put it in a bench vise, and man that thing will poke the bejesus otta ya.... It fires over an 1/8" gap with no trouble. I put it back into the bike and it doesn't fire...as I checked the wire going to it I noticed it went directly to ground. As I see it by grounding this wire it will kill the spark and not fire. I disconnected that wire and it fired up...ran for only about 5 minutes and lost spark. I could not get any spark back so I replaced the points and condensor....running again. This time it ran for maybe 2 minutes before quiting and no spark again. I rechecked that point gap and tried to fire it again but nothing. Replaced to condensor again and it fired back up. I only let it run for a few seconds then shut it down. Why would it be eating condensors..or is there something else that might be a problem? Is there a way to test the mag? Who is a highly recomended service place or person for magnetos? I'm located in Holland Michigan, west of Grand Rapids. Thanks in advance for your help, Springer Kid.