Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2000 Road King EFI dies after 30 sec-no spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 PM
H&DCYCLES
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok run your bike and manually tilt the bas 90 degress...and see if you have the same issue.

i will look up the test procedures for the bas tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pjriebe

I have a Clymer repair manual...it has an excellent wiring diagram but it doesn't get into specifics about doing testing to identify faulty sensors. (it only tells me how to remove/reinstall them)
Anyone have a good place to get voltage and/or resistance values for testing sensors and the system of the bike?
You need the factory electrical diagnostic manual for all of the troubleshooting procedures. You may have to take the bike in and connect it to a digital technician at a dealer. But if you plan on keeping the bike for a while I would recommend you get both factory service manuals.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 PM
H&DCYCLES
Novice

I couldnt agree more.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
pjriebe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by H&DCYCLES
ok run your bike and manually tilt the bas 90 degress...and see if you have the same issue.

i will look up the test procedures for the bas tomorrow.
Good idea...I should have thought of that. I did the test and the fuel pump doesn't even kick on with the ignition when the BAS is tilted 90 degrees. I don't think that is the problem.

Is the best place to buy the repair manuals the dealer?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 AM
H&DCYCLES
Novice

you can look on ebay, but when you do the test have the bike running then tilt it, it will cut off, then put it vertical & see if it will start up with out turning the key off.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Is the best place to buy the repair manuals the dealer?
You can get them from Zanotti's HD on line or Chicago HD for a discount. Check ebay too because people sell them on there used. But you need the electrical manual for the troubleshooting. If it is a sensor they are usually not too difficult to replace.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 PM
pjriebe
6th Gear
Smile

PROBLEM RESOLUTION!!!
First off...Thanks to everyone for the assistance and especially; H&DCYCLES, 1ISSUEONLY, and AJAYRK. You guys nailed it with the Bank Angle Sensor. It must have partially failed because it tricked me into believing it was NOT the problem.
I bought the Electrical Diagnostic Manual and did a lot of testing and could not come up with a definite problem. Of note, over time troubleshooting, my bike stopped starting at all. My bike is a 2000 and they didn't come out with the EDM until 2001 so I got a 2001 manual. As I compared bike schematics it appeared that they were basically identical so I figured it would work fine. Well...the only significant difference between the 2000 and 2001 is they added the Turn Signal Security Module that incorporated the Bank Angle Sensor and took out the stand alone sensor. Sure enough...the only thing NOT covered in my manual was causing the problems. I ended up taking it to San Diego Harley (where they took the better part of a day to figure it out). Luckily they only charge an hour's labor for diagnosing the problem so I escaped with only a little over $100 worth of damage! At least it was a cheap and easy fix!
Thanks again to all that helped. For anyone having similar issues...buying a new BAS maybe a better way to rule it out. Taking voltages and tilting the sensor both fooled me.
KBFXDLI - Thanks to your shout out to the military. Eighteen years of active duty Navy and about 3000 hours of flying H-60 helicopters keeps me busy when I'm not on the Road King!
God Bless the USA!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 AM
damianir
Stage II
Default Stator/Alternator and Voltage Regulator

Check the battery to see if it is holding a charger using a multimeter. When you start the bike that battery should give you a reading of 14 or better..if it is 12 or lower, your stator/alternator has seized and the voltage regulator will also have to be replaced. Bring plenty of cash as this is a primary job.

Please help me!
I have a 2000 RK Classic, EFI. My bike will start right up and run perfectly for about 20-30 seconds. Then it will just DIE. I have checked the plugs for spark and the problem is just that...it goes from big fat blue spark to NOTHING. I have checked for codes and all that comes up is low voltage on the battery. I have re-charged the battery and the problem continues. If I let the bike sit for a while it will run for another 10-20 seconds and die again. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
SCACHURA1
Stage IV
Default Bike started missing & wont run....

I have a 05 Road King. Started cutting out & wouldnt run... but would start cough & choke and not idle.
This was last week. 9-25-11
Problem was in the fuel tank. BAD FUEL HOUSING REGULATOR.
Cost= 16.80 + tax.
A black plastic piece of work that isnt tough enough to cut the mustard.
Has two ears on it & one will inevitablt break off. commone HD make it outa stainless metal !

I could hear a different sound like gas spewing or bubbling in the tank. Take the gas cap off & listen. Also could have been one of two plastic fuel lines inside the tank... one from the fuel housing regulator to the exit point on the bottom of the tank. Or the other plastic tube from the fuel pump to the filter in the tank which is just before the fuel housing regulator. If you go in there, change the filter if there is any doubt and use the HD stock clamps on the hoses. my HD repair analyst called it on the first guess after listening to the tank sound when both switches were on and the FI charged up. You shouldnt need a new tank gasket but get the new screws they have fresh rubber seals on them. Dont know about yours, but my dealership let me buy all possible parts and return what I didnt need. Total out of pocket was about 32.00 Did my onw repair.. Good luck