Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2000 Road King EFI dies after 30 sec-no spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure with an '00, but with newer bikes the warmup enrichment shuts off after about 30 seconds and the IAC closes as it shuts off in steps. My guess would be as the warmup enrichment shuts down the engine isn't getting enough air. That would be particularly true if you're getting black smoke out the exhaust prior to it dieing. I doubt you could read it off the spark plugs though since you're only running 30 seconds at a time.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Hum, forgot about the part about the spark. Oh well.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
H&DCYCLES
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once again im at the house, so no e. d. m. here, but with that year i belive its under the seat behind the battery, thier will be one on the left and one on the right, the right side is the fuel pump relay. also when it dies, try to start with out turning the ignition off, and listen for the fuel pump. you should take the voltage at the batery re read the directions and see if you understand.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have been given a lot of good suggestion, so I'm going to jump in here with one more. Check the bank angle sensor located under the left side cover.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM
1issueonly
Stage II
Talking Thanks AJ

I had to join this forum just to give that suggestion, but you beat me to it. We had that same problem in our shop and drove us crazy. Actually, we had multiple problems, but that was the elusive gremlin.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
pjriebe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by H&DCYCLES
i had a issue somewhat similar to what you are going through on a 01 ultra. check to make sure that your sytem relay commmonly know as fuel pump relay is not losing its controlled ground from the ecm. im not at the shop so of the top of my head i belive the wire is brown possibly brown and black, it will connect into your relay, put your volt meter on the postive terminal on the battery and the controll gound (brown wire), while bike is running, you should get battery voltage. if not look for open wire. note that as soon as the bike quits turning over you will lose the ground.

also will the bike restart after it dies?
Sorry for the delay...the whole family has been throwing up for the last week! ....back to getting my bike running! I did exactly as you instructed...(sorry for my confusion before) I get 12 volts between the brownish wire and the positive side of the battery until the bike dies...then it goes to zero.

I have checked out that Bank Angle Sensor but I'm not sure what the voltage should be. I tried unplugging it and then I get the ENGINE light on steady before attempting to start it.

I have a Clymer repair manual...it has an excellent wiring diagram but it doesn't get into specifics about doing testing to identify faulty sensors. (it only tells me how to remove/reinstall them)
Anyone have a good place to get voltage and/or resistance values for testing sensors and the system of the bike?

Thanks for all the help...I'm determined to figure this out!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 PM
H&DCYCLES
Novice

Will the bike start without turning the ignition swith off then on again?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 AM
robzuc97
Road Master

Try swapping the ignition and the starter relays around: if the ignition relay is faulty you should now have a STARTING problem. Only BN wire I could find on my schematics is to the right turn signal! If the engine light is on again, you have another code.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:17 PM
pjriebe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by H&DCYCLES
Will the bike start without turning the ignition swith off then on again?
No. To restart it, I need to turn it back to off...let it sit for 6-8 seconds and then reattempt.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 PM
pjriebe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by robzuc97
Try swapping the ignition and the starter relays around: if the ignition relay is faulty you should now have a STARTING problem. Only BN wire I could find on my schematics is to the right turn signal! If the engine light is on again, you have another code.
I did try swapping the relays...same issue exists. The wire appears sort of brownish but in my schematic it is shown as brown/yellow.

The wire I'm looking at goes from pin "85" of the fuel pump relay to pin 23 of the ECM. I'm certain that I have the right relay and I'm measuring the right voltage.

The engine light comes on when I UNPLUG the BAS. I'm not sure what exact signal it receives but I'm sure a Failed BAS gives a different indication than an Absent BAS. What I'm unsure of is what a failed BAS would read.

Quick Reply: 2000 Road King EFI dies after 30 sec-no spark