Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2000 Road King EFI dies after 30 sec-no spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:36 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Bob
System Relay, CKP, Hole in the in tank fuel line, failing ignition switch, faulty ground internal of ECM.....

This is where a few $$$ spent on Service and Electrical manuals comes in as a lifesaver...
You are not kidding...definitely worth the $100

Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
H&DCYCLES
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a issue somewhat similar to what you are going through on a 01 ultra. check to make sure that your sytem relay commmonly know as fuel pump relay is not losing its controlled ground from the ecm. im not at the shop so of the top of my head i belive the wire is brown possibly brown and black, it will connect into your relay, put your volt meter on the postive terminal on the battery and the controll gound (brown wire), while bike is running, you should get battery voltage. if not look for open wire. note that as soon as the bike quits turning over you will lose the ground.

also will the bike restart after it dies?

Old 12-06-2008, 04:59 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the fuel pump "spinning up" when you turn the key on?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:56 AM
freid
Stage III

Do you loose all power when this happens?

Could be the main breaker. Problems with them back then.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Dr. Combustion
Cruiser

I don't think 13 vdc is enough. The voltage at the battery should be above 14. There is also the relationship between amps and voltage. If your voltage is below 14, then the regulater and/or alternator is at max capacity on amps and still can't keep up as seen by the lower output voltage.

There could be many reasons including what others have said about connections, breakers, etc. Another item to consider would be an oil pressure cut-off, if your bike is equiped with one. The ECM will shut off the motor if there is low or no oil prssure after a few seconds on some other bikes and cars.

Sounds like it may be time to invest in the service manual.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Combustion
I don't think 13 vdc is enough. The voltage at the battery should be above 14. There is also the relationship between amps and voltage. If your voltage is below 14, then the regulater and/or alternator is at max capacity on amps and still can't keep up as seen by the lower output voltage.

There could be many reasons including what others have said about connections, breakers, etc. Another item to consider would be an oil pressure cut-off, if your bike is equiped with one. The ECM will shut off the motor if there is low or no oil prssure after a few seconds on some other bikes and cars.

Sounds like it may be time to invest in the service manual.
The Voltage SHOULD be at 13.2 vdc @ 1000 rpm, and 13.8 vdc @ 3000 rpm.... these ar mins...

HD bikes do not have an Oil Pressure cut-off... It will run with no oil pressure...

Old 12-07-2008, 11:09 AM
pjriebe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by H&DCYCLES
i had a issue somewhat similar to what you are going through on a 01 ultra. check to make sure that your sytem relay commmonly know as fuel pump relay is not losing its controlled ground from the ecm. im not at the shop so of the top of my head i belive the wire is brown possibly brown and black, it will connect into your relay, put your volt meter on the postive terminal on the battery and the controll gound (brown wire), while bike is running, you should get battery voltage. if not look for open wire. note that as soon as the bike quits turning over you will lose the ground.

also will the bike restart after it dies?
I will check out the system relay that you suggest. Should I measure the voltage at the ECM or at the relay? Where is the relay located?

To answer your question...it won't restart unless I turn off the ignition for at least 6-10 seconds. (after I can hear the very soft click of a relay or something) Then it will restart but run for less time on the second start.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Old Fart
4th Gear

Originally Posted by pjriebe
.....it won't restart unless I turn off the ignition for at least 6-10 seconds. (after I can hear the very soft click of a relay or something) Then it will restart but run for less time on the second start.

That seems like a fuel pump issue.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM
pjriebe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gunnert
Is the fuel pump "spinning up" when you turn the key on?
Yes. It does and it does after it dies once but won't start. The pump is definitely doing its part.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
pjriebe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by freid
Do you loose all power when this happens?

Could be the main breaker. Problems with them back then.
No, I don't lose all power. The headlight is still on and lights on the speedo, etc. The only thing that goes is the spark.

Quick Reply: 2000 Road King EFI dies after 30 sec-no spark