Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition Switch Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
GA1dad
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Ignition Switch Problems???

I just bought an 2001 Ultra Classic from my brothers friend. I've known about the bike for a couple of years, and when he said he was gonna sell it, I thought "Why Not??" The bike was bought as a mild wreck. All the damage was cosmetic. And he repaired it all with plans of keeping it. And he did a great job.

While talking to him on the phone, I remembered that he had mentioned a couple of years ago that he had to have something done to the switch/lock, cause it wouldn't work. So I asked if he got the "key" issue fixed. He told me that the key worked, and seemed puzzled as to why I was asking. I just shrugged my shoulders and figured I was mistaken in my memory. Anyways, when I went to pick it up (two states away) he fired it up and rolled it out of his garage. I looked it over, rode it, and gave him the check. I rolled it on the trailer and took it home.

Well today I go out to the shop and tinker with my new toy. I don't know why, but I reached up and turned the switch, even though I could see it was locked. And to my surprise, the dash lit up. What the??? Then everything kinda came back to my memory. He had the tumblers taken out of the switch.

So, here I sit with a bike that anyone can drive off with. Needless to say,,,, I'm upset. And I will convey my contempt when I see him. But for now, I need to get it fixed. What do I need to do,,,,, take it to the dealer??? It looks like it will need some special tools to get it off. Anybody know what this repair will cost me???

Thanks in advance, Jay

But the good side is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MAN, WHAT A FUN RIDE!!!!! Quite the step up from my 97 Fatboy!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:31 PM
RustyCor
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way to go is to buy the manual for your bike on eBay. It gives all the details for just about everything on your bike.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM
GA1dad
Intermediate

Thanks Rusty.

For anyone interested, the dealership priced a replacement switch at $424 including labor.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 AM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure you have a problem? I have never locked my ignition: the switch just turns on and off all the time. I just use the fob to secure the bike and lock the handle bars.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 PM
GA1dad
Intermediate

Well no,,,,,,, I'm not certain,,, as this is my first bike of this type. I assumed that the switch could be mechanically locked, like a softtail would.