Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Brake Light stay On and Cruise Control does not work

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 AM
buddabelch
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light stay On and Cruise Control does not work

Hello All,

I have not done anything to my bike, but the other day riding my buddies told me that the brake light was not coming on...No Brainer, Right...Replace the bulb....Well I did this and it stays on all the time and when I hit the brakes nothing happens either....I replaced the bulb with a 198 (which was what was in it)....

Also...My cruise control no longer works....I can turn it on from a switch on the dash (the switch is illuminated when in the on position), but when I hit the switch on the bars to engage it nothing happens.....I tried unplugging the module under the left side panel, then hooked it back up...No luck...

For the brakes, is there a relay somewhere I can check (maybe in the fairing)..

Any thoughts?

It is a 95 FLTHCU......

Thanks!

Kevin

Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds as if your brake switch is always activated. I don't have my manual handy but if you can find your rear brake switch and unplug it to see if that fixes the problem you can at least isolate to front or rear and then check your switches.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either rear brake switch, Located just under right side passenger foot board or possibly the one on the front Master cyl. If your brakes are showing engaged all the time, the CC will not engage. Easy to test with a DVOM, just set to test Continuity, unplug the wires from the switch, and see if your showing cont.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
buddabelch
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK....Fixed the brake issues....Undid thefront lever and checked the metal tab that pushes a pin to turn on the light....it was sticking...Wet it down with some wd-40 and works great now...I did blow the right turn signal bulb though...Need to remember to push in before turning it.....

I am still lost though with the cruise issue......is there fuse in the fairing that covers this maybe....Manual is not that great in pionting this stuff out.....

Thanks for the suggestions BTW!

I want to get out a few more times before the Snow comes here in the North East....