Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning dilema.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM
tnt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning dilema.

I have a 2006 Ultra with a 95" build. I originally had Vance & Hines Ovals on it and they were on the bike when it was tuned on a dyno with a SERT. Pipes were too loud for me on the long haul so I put a set of Harley Touring mufflers on it that I already had. Subsequently, the fuel/air mixture was fattened up and I am burning rich. I went to the dealer and was told the only way to re-tune it with the SERT is to drill a hole through the baffles for the sniffer to fit through when they put it on the dyno. Because of the baffle design in these mufflers, Harley says this will ruin the mufflers. I suggested drilling a hole in the header pipe similar to a bung for an O2 sensor but am being met with resistance from the tuner without an explanation. Any idea why this won't work? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM
RustyCor
Cruiser

Hi! Why not get a copy of your map from the dealer that set it up originally and tweak it yourself. Sounds like if you start taking fuel out of the VE tables about 5% at a time, you will test drive the bike each change, and see how it responds to less fuel. You can make this a smooth ride by yourself and be proud of your own map. It is easier than it sounds.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 AM
tnt
Novice

I have never done it or loaded the software to look at it. If it is not too complicated, I might give it a try. I guess I can always get someone to straighten out my mess if it happens. Thanks

Old 11-16-2008, 11:12 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Originally Posted by tnt
I suggested drilling a hole in the header pipe similar to a bung for an O2 sensor but am being met with resistance from the tuner without an explanation. Any idea why this won't work? If not, do you have any suggestions?
Mark on your headers where you want the bungs to go and take the headers to a muffler shop. They'll drill and weld in the bungs for you. Cost me $30 (including bungs) last time I did this. The bike can then be tuned with the sensors in the bungs.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:26 PM
tnt
Novice

I will. Seems like an easy fix.