Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII help. Engine light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Treek
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII help. Engine light stays on

Hey Guys,

I recently installed a PCIII and Heavy Breather on my 1200N. I followed the instructions for installing the PCIII, and the bike seems to be running well, but the engine light is on. What could I have possibly done wrong in the install for the light to be on? Is it an O2 sensor problem? Another problem? Anyone else have this problem?
Any and all help is appreciated.

Laura

Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

you tripped a code somewhere...get to a dealer/indy with a computer to read it

Old 11-06-2008, 04:03 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reset your computer to clear the code. If it returns take it in to get read.

The PCIII will sometimes cause an error code to come on from time to time.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Pay the stealer to read the DTC or put that $$ toward this & read/clear it yourself:

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan2.html

VicW.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Treek
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I cant get to the dealer until Monday. Is there any harm in riding it as is, until I can get it cleared?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:38 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it starts and runs...ride on. Tape works wonders for those pesky lights. I would disconnect the battery, disconnect and reconnect the harness, reconnect battery and ride.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To reset computer, Turn run/stop to Run. Turn Igntion switch On and Off 4 times. If you still get the codes, Try cycling the Ignition with the Run/Stop in the Stop position. I forget witch is correct but it does work on a Injected Fatboy anyway.

I was getting an error code from my PCIII when I had it set to rich and was fouling a plug.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile And this is free!

Speedometer diagnostics & Engine light

Engine Light function: Normal operation=light comes on for four seconds after IGN SW on, then goes out if no present DTC. DTC in History=light comes on for four seconds after IGN SW on, then goes out, then comes on for eight seconds, then goes out. Current DTC=Engine light stays on after IGN SW on indicating current fault (note: some codes will only trip at engine run i.e.: CKP).

Speedometer diagnostic mode (WOW Test): To access function, hold in speedometer trip reset button while turning on IGN SW to ignition or run position (engine start/stop sw must be in RUN position or ECM selection will display "no rsp"). Press reset sw to cycle through selections and hold to select. If it displays "clear", no codes are present; a code is a letter followed by four-digit number (i.e.: U1064). Write down then clear codes from history by holding in reset button when code is displayed until it displays "clear". Then start bike and run for 10 seconds, shut off, and recheck. Any codes displayed again indicate a current code condition.

P=ECM S=TSSM Sp=Speedometer St or T=Tachometer (if equipped)
*Part number of component follows each item after pressing reset button.

Get the code and post it if you can't get a list from here. Probably is from the install of the PC III which will hopefully clear following steps above.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Treek
Cruiser

Originally Posted by robzuc97
Speedometer diagnostics & Engine light

Engine Light function: Normal operation=light comes on for four seconds after IGN SW on, then goes out if no present DTC. DTC in History=light comes on for four seconds after IGN SW on, then goes out, then comes on for eight seconds, then goes out. Current DTC=Engine light stays on after IGN SW on indicating current fault (note: some codes will only trip at engine run i.e.: CKP).

Speedometer diagnostic mode (WOW Test): To access function, hold in speedometer trip reset button while turning on IGN SW to ignition or run position (engine start/stop sw must be in RUN position or ECM selection will display "no rsp"). Press reset sw to cycle through selections and hold to select. If it displays "clear", no codes are present; a code is a letter followed by four-digit number (i.e.: U1064). Write down then clear codes from history by holding in reset button when code is displayed until it displays "clear". Then start bike and run for 10 seconds, shut off, and recheck. Any codes displayed again indicate a current code condition.

P=ECM S=TSSM Sp=Speedometer St or T=Tachometer (if equipped)
*Part number of component follows each item after pressing reset button.

Get the code and post it if you can't get a list from here. Probably is from the install of the PC III which will hopefully clear following steps above.
Thanks. I'll post an update when I get home from work.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Treek
Thanks. I'll post an update when I get home from work.
Treek
This is a common occurrence with a PCIII installed, the sensors for the EFI have a certain voltage sensitivity for operation. When this sensitivity gets out of the normal voltage range it throws a code......PCIII is over riding the injector out put and coil out put and this at times are beyond the limits of the EFI sensors and it throws the code and the light stays on all the time. It doesn't hurt the bike or effect the way it runs.

Quick Reply: PCIII help. Engine light stays on