Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Back to Stock Stage I

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 AM
ironbikeworx
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SERT Back to Stock Stage I

Hi Folks! Have a question and need some advice. First the setup.

2007 Road King Classic
HD SERT
HD SE Air Filter Upgrade
Vance and Hines True Duals with Basic V&H Slip-ons

OK, when I got the bike, they guaranteed I'd have no problems as long as they tuned it on the Dyno after the install. I said, OK. But since, been back several times to get it tuned.
Final outcome, low gas mileage (avg 30-34 mpg or so), sputtering, etc.
I'm not happy with it and I'm tired of paying for the headache.

* What I'd like to do....
I have the software for the SERT, the cables, etc. Is there a way to go back to a basic Stage I w/o any tunes? I was told that if I wanted to add any tuners, that I'd have to be flashed at least back to a basic Stage 1 level.

*What I am planning...
I currently sell the new Ridemaxx Tuners.... Once the newer models come out for the '07's, I will be testing the unit and maps for my setup. BUT, like most tuners, it cannot be piggy backed with a map that is not standard because they do not know what the dealer dyno tuned in.

Rather than deal with the headaches and arrogance of the dealer woes, I just want to be able to tune myself from here on out without worrying about what is in and not...

So is there an easy solution to this? The dealer refuses to give me a copy of the last tune so I'm basically lost in that dept. Unless I can extract something. But I'd rather just tune it back to normal.

Thanks in advance..

Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

If you have the SERT you can already tune it yourself. You have the tool to do so, all you need to do, is do it. If the dealer that tuned the bike did not provide a copy of the calibration they installed into the bike then you will need to start over anyways. Just take out the software and select a calibration that is the closest to what you already have installed on your bike and go from there. The SERT in not the cause of low fuel mileage, it's only a tool. How that tool is used is up to the person running it like any other tool.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 AM
ironbikeworx
6th Gear

Hi Steve - and thanks for replying.

I wasn't trying to blame the SERT for the poor mileage... I was just stating what the last dyno tune created.

So let me see if I understand this. Going back to a basic Stage I level is nothing more than bringing the program back to what is the closest setup on the bike with the provided maps?

This will enable me to use any Tuner without problems?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 AM
klemay
Cruiser

Big-Jon and others, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm sort of in the same position. I to have a SERT but when I purchased mine, I didn't get the ECM or Interface cable or CDrom...just the sert...do I have to pay extra for the accesories?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:47 AM
ironbikeworx
6th Gear

When they installed and programmed it, they should have gave you your module and the disk at least, I had to buy the cable. You need that module anytime you bring the bike in for service if they have to program the ECM.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:27 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cables quit automatically coming with the SERT a couple of years ago or so, and became a standalone item. There's no need to duplicate the cables with every SERT you buy. The software CD-ROM should come with it, but if not, it's freely available many places on the Internet.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:36 AM
klemay
Cruiser

Glens,

Thanks for the info; I'll do a search on the CD; and head to my local HD to get the cables....sounds like I'll have an "interesting" weekend trying to figure things out!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM
RustyCor
Cruiser

HI! I had the same problem, but I spent $4,800.00 on an all HD 95" 100 HP engine built by the dealer. If you have the SERT, the cables came with it. The newer SEST did not include the cables. When the dealer couldn't get my tune right, I went to them and got a copy of the latest map they installed and made them give me a set of cables because the SERT purchase includes cables in the box. Good Luck!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure it started in the model year '07. It at least was the case during that year, and after, that the SERT cables were a separate part, no longer automatically included in the box. Maybe if you got hold of an older part which had been sitting on the shelf some where you'd have gotten cables as well since then.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

HD dropped the cables out of the kit in 2006. For those of you with the black molded cable from the interface to the bike, those are what we made. The Grey ones with screw together covers were the cheap ones HD went and had made. If you need cables for the SERT or Mastertune we should have cables in stock next week.

Quick Reply: SERT Back to Stock Stage I