Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ThunderMax Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 PM
BeenDown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ThunderMax Install

I've just installed a Thundermax with auto-tune. I've run the wires, O2 sensors, mounted the module, etc. I've installed the software and picked a Base Map. I then tried to 'link' my P.C to the module and got an error message. Essentially, it tells me that the com port has been found but no module. I did turn everything on, (the ignition and "on" switch) I've re-booted my P.C and tried several times. I checked all connections and everything is properly connected. The error persists. Anyone seen this before? I could use some help.

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 PM
SimplyJoe
Intermediate

What operating system are you running?

Are you using a USB adapter? If so did you install the drivers? Can you see it in your Device Manager?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What simplyjoe said and....call ThunderMax. 410-579-2828-tech support

Old 10-14-2008, 05:26 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

let us know what happened...

Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 AM
BeenDown
Intermediate
Default T-Max

Originally Posted by SimplyJoe
What operating system are you running?

Are you using a USB adapter? If so did you install the drivers? Can you see it in your Device Manager?

The operating system on this machine is Vista. I'm not running the USB adapter, I'm right off the com port with the old serial connector. My Device Manager tells me "This device is working properly." (the com port).

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 AM
SimplyJoe
Intermediate

Vista has a known serial port handshaking issue. The Thundermax software is affected by it. You can try going into your bios and playing with your serial port type. It will cause Vista to "re-install" the port differently. This may not solve your problem.

I would recommend using an XP based machine. Depending on the size of your hard drive, you can add a partion and install XP there. This way your system can be setup to dual boot.

Personally, I wiped out a laptop and installed XP exclusively on it for use with my Thundermax unit. I don't like the idea of possibly turning my unit into a brick...

(I am assuming you downloaded the latest version of the SmartLinkIV software 2008.1.1)

Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine worked fine with Vista. I did have to uninstall the Smartlink and then first down the load the USB to Serial driver, reinstall Smartlink and then it recognized the module. I do have to run Smartlink under an Administrative setting.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 AM
BeenDown
Intermediate
Default Reply to all

I have successfully linked to the module. I failed to initialize the module with the 3 X on/off for 30 seconds. Also, I have e-mailed zippers (with a 3 hour time difference and work, I have missed them by phone) but so far have been ahead of their solutions. By the time I get to their e-mails I have solved the problem I was asking them about. They are very willing to help, but at this point I seem to be outpacing them, that's all.
Next issue is that in the absence of a match for a base map, I'm using the closest I could figure. I have an 07 FXSTSSE with a SERT (which I am replacing with the T-Max) and V&H Big Radius 2 into 1. I picked a map with a stock engine and Fat Cat 2 into 1 exhaust. That may not be a good place to start given that when I attempt the 2 cycles of 10 second idle I can't seem to run for more than a couple of seconds. I did go into the options and confirm my speedo, decel, closed loop etc. but like I said, at this point I'm still not running like I need to.
Thanks for the help.

BeenDown

Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

I'm thinking that you need to get them on the phone when you can. They should be able to walk you through it then.
Good Luck, Dave

Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
rbabos
Banned

It very well may not idle unti you intialize it. Almost any map will start the engine and run. Pull the fuse, wait a couple of minutes, install fuse and do the intialize again.
Ron

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Install