Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII, SE Pro Race Tuner, or ThunderMax?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GAstreetglide
Part of my problem, in this case, is my obvious ignorance regarding the design an operation of the TTS. I have no idea what the switching sensors are and how they work. It appears you're basically running an open loop system (for the most part) and adjusting VE tables and theoretical AFR based on the data collected by the ECM (excluding AFR input from the O2 sensors). You then download this information to your software package where the maps are modified or manipulated to give you a new map optimized to meet your performance requirements.
You've got your answer for all of that in what I just read through.

I'd just like to add that what you're doing with the TTS vtune is setting way more of the AFR table to 14.6 (referenced to straight gasoline) than you'd ever want to run on a daily basis. You're only doing this to enable the system to "measure the AFR" over the vast majority of the operational range with its narrow-band sensors. Then you put the AFR tables back, or to whatever you want for values anywhere you run, and the ECM fuel calculations will provide that AFR wherever because it accurately knows the "how much airflow is there right now?" variable (you can have any combination of closed and open loop operation, widely interspersed, as you want). By temporarily and judiciously manipulating the system, you can use the limited-range exhaust sensors to map out up to about 90% of the operational envelope. This is to determine the airflow at various rpm/throttle settings which is what is used in the "math" Steve mentioned above.

It would be nice if we had Mass Airflow Sensors on our bikes. Then we could use simpler and more adaptable "math" in our bikes.