Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Installing air and oil guages?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Installing air and oil guages?

ORIGINAL: nmfxstc

The oil temp dipstick LED things is kinda usless when rolling...
Good to know...

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
DeadBirdDog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the oil pressure gauge? Is it plug and play as well?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

DeadBirdDog, the oil pressure gauge, if purchased seperately, is not plug and play. I installed an oil pressure gauge on my FLHTP and it was a simple installation. Purchase one two-place socket and spade connectors (for the light bulb) and one three-place socket and three spade connectors (for the gauge). Splice/tap the two place wires to the adjacent corresponding wires on the voltmeter (power/ground for the bulb) and two of the three wires for the three-wire socket (power/ground for the oil pressure gauge).

Find the brown/green stripe wire in the No. 2 Deutsch connector (located on the right side speaker support bracket) (slot 8 of the connector)and splice/tap the third wire from the oil pressure gauge to this brown/green stripe wire--its the wire carrying the signal from the oil pressure sending unit. An alternative to the splice/tap is to purchase the pin for the Deutsch connector, attach the wire, and plug the pin/wire into the female portion of the no. 2 connector in the no. 8 slot (corresponding to the brown/green stripe wire in slot 8 of the male portion of the connector).

The installation is much simpler than what I described. It is a less than a twohour job start to finish, and most of that time is simply crimping the spade connectors to wires and assembling the sockets. Don't have the parts numbers for the sockets or spade connectors that go inside them. Also, the color coded wire, socket numbers, and location are from my 2004 HD Service Manual so I don't know if this info is accurate for your application.

On my '04 I did not have to run a wire from the oil pressure sender up to the inside of the fairing. Older models may require this.

As I recall, I had my dealer parts guy print out the installation instructions for the HD air temp/oil pressure gauges kit, part no. 74439-00, and read the portion dealing with the oil pressure gauge. That kit includes wiring for the oil pressure sender, but is notused on '04 EG's and newer ones; don't know about older models, though. I regret this wordy post and don't want to discourage you from the project.Just get hold of a parts book, order the parts, find the oil pressure sending wire (using your service manual wiring diagram) so you know which wire to connect the gauge to, then provide the power/ground to thecorresponding plugs that the voltmeter uses, tapping/splicing those wires for the power/ground needed for the oil pressure gauge.