Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

vied ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
huey408
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vied ?

have 07 fxstb 113ci with pc111 w/ o2 eliminators installed purchased vieds from nightrider and was wondering what i have to do to get rid of 02 eliminators

Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

Originally Posted by huey408
have 07 fxstb 113ci with pc111 w/ o2 eliminators installed purchased vieds from nightrider and was wondering what i have to do to get rid of 02 eliminators
I strongly suggest you talk to Steve at Nightriders. VIED's won't work with O2 eliminators, and I don't think the PCIII will work without them. Steve's products are more for the person riding a stock bike, or one with an air box change or exhaust change. It might not be the right ticket for an engine so highly developed as yours. Steve's a straight shooter, he'll steer you right.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:22 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

Diddo +1

Old 09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huey408
To get rid of the O2 eliminators you'll either need to get rid of the PC-III or complexly tune it so that the engine performs exactly as it would/did before your engine changes, so far as your native ECU is concerned. What that means is that you're correct for your current parts in your PC-III fueling tables and that the resultant AFR is 14.6:1 in all the areas your Delphi is itself programmed for. Be sure you reset your Delphi's AFVs to 100% before tuning the PC-III in this way.

Then, you can stick your O2 sensors back into service and monitor them through an IED of some sort to get the controlled mixture a little richer.

If you're adding fuel with your PC-III such that the AFR is less than 14.6:1 when the stock ECU would be in closed-loop, with the O2 sensors in service the stock ECU will pull the fuel necessary to get the AFR back up to 14.6:1. There is a side-effect of this, though, and that is the Delphi will use the information it's learned while closed-loop to modify the fueling accordingly during open-loop. That might sound a little stupid, but it's actually very clever. And it's sort of a shame to have to throw it away while using the PC-III (which is why I've gotten a TTS tuner. I'd only wanted to use the PC-III until I'd decided what I really wanted to do anyway).

Alternatively to all this, you could get the TTS tuner, which has got to be the best option anyway.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to flesh out that second-to-last paragraph a bit.

If you're adding fuel with your PC-III such that the AFR is less than 14.6:1 when the stock ECU would be in closed-loop, with the O2 sensors in service the stock ECU will pull the fuel necessary to get the AFR back up to 14.6:1. There is a side-effect of this, though, and that is the Delphi will use the information it's learned while closed-loop to modify the fueling accordingly during open-loop. That might sound a little stupid, but it's actually very clever. And it's sort of a shame to have to throw it away while using the PC-III (which is why I've gotten a TTS tuner. I'd only wanted to use the PC-III until I'd decided what I really wanted to do anyway). The ramifications of this is that if you use a "standard" tune on the PC-III and attempt native closed-loop operation anyway, the bike's ECU will pull fuel, record how much it had to pull, and apply that even when it goes open-loop. This will pull fuel from your PC-III map in those native areas, and your PC-III map was correct already. Now it will be lean there, probably so much that you'd notice. But maybe not (notice), and that would be a dangerous situation since those areas of operation are where the most power/heat gets produced.

Some of the internal parts might reach "cooking" temperature to long-term (at minimum) ill effect.