Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT fueling problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 AM
jtbmc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down SERT fueling problems

Howdy Guys,
I had a SERT, SE A/C V&H true Duals W/ V&H Ovals installed on my 08 Electra Glide Ultra last week. Problem is Scooter went from 44 MPG consistently prior to dyno tune down to 24.5 MPG, I have run three tanks through it on flat straight interstate cruise set at 70 MPH in sixth gear,2500 rpm & 24.5 mpg. 2nd & 3rd third tanks same thing.
Dealer tried to B/S me with they'll lose fuel mpg, My reply yep but not 50 %.
This is my first fuel Injected bike.
I've owned a Harley sense 1966 and never had to have a Dumb A$$ jerk water dealer ever work on my scooters, or insult me with crap like this 50 % deal.
My 53 Pan w/ linkert carb will crank on 1st kick almost every time, and so will my 66 Shovel head dresser, they also get 45 -55 mpg on interstate.
Hope some one can help with proper SERT map.
JT

Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Touring Tom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing is that the tech could make the mpg be even lower than 24mpg if you wanted. He could make it get 70+ mpg and burn up the pistons too. My experience has been that they will first setup the engine to a very safe, simple "one size fits all" program. Surprisingly, a lot of people just take what they get and live with it. My first tuning had great dyno numbers but the best I could get was 32mpg easy cruising on the interstate. I went back and asked to leave the performance end alone but could he program it for economy when cruising. Sure enough, performance still felt the same when running it all out, but gas mileage went up to 44mpg on those easy highway cruises. It did take another visit to clean up some warm-up issues and hot start, but a good tech can really make the engine run any way you want it to.