Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

screamin eagle race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 PM
teamnorthstar
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screamin eagle race tuner

I own a 03 ultraclassic with stage 1 kit and rinehart dual pipes also have screamineagle efi race tuner kit #32107-01C. Purchased recently so not much history. Fuel milage solo rider 65mph is 35mpg. Contacted HD dealer and was told basically it may be as good as it gets. Another dealer said return to stock to get improvement. Any help? Can this system be retuned for improvement or what can be done? Not sure if the HD dealer is competent or not. please help. not expecting a miracle but would like 40+ mileage thanks gc

Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Touring Tom
Novice

Been there. You are not alone. After the first dyno tuning with the SERT my bike was getting 32mpg. I told the tech that I loved the dramatic increase in power and performance and asked if there was anything he could tweak so that the bike would get better gas mileage under easy cruise and low end throttle but not give up anything on the wild end. He worked his magic and now I get 44mpg cruising the interstate and it doesn't feel any slower when I get into it. The beauty of the computer control and everything being programmable is that a good tech can make it do just about anything you want.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 AM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my 07SG in the dyno yesterday and now have the same question. After 6k miles I'm really impressed with everything but my fuel mileage. I went from nearly 50pergal to about 30+ if I'm lucky. How is this possible? Is is a bad tune?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 AM
ajk
Stage IV
Default Sert

I had HD install a SERT and took it back in twice to get it remaped,my SE 06' ultra was popping on deceleration.They finally got it right but the mileage is still around 35mpg.
AJK

Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking at a data log is the only way I know how to determine what the tuner did with any tune and to figure out if gas mileage can be improved. If you purchased cables with your SERT and have a laptop you can use fo logging, the rest is easy.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 PM
ajk
Stage IV
Default Sert

I was told to keep the tuner w/the bike (just incase)They tell me it's bike specific, the only thing I'am missing is the software? I inquired about it and the HD service manager says they don't want us messing with?Sofar it's under warranty so I haven't pressed the issue.Maybe it's just our HD dealer policy.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 AM
RustyCor
Cruiser
Default SERT and the dealer...

I had a similar problem. I had the engine reworked to 100 HP at the dealer. The sert was installed. I got the dongle (race tuner mystery box), but they kept the 2 cables that came with the SERT. I went to service and they told me that the cables don't come with my SERT and I should go to parts and buy them. Parts told me that the model of SERT I had DID come with cables. Service agreed to purchase the cables for me. The dealer tries to lock you in to the service department and not want you doing anything on your own.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

There is no reason why a well-tuned stock bike with slip-ons/TD's, and hi-flo a/c shouldn't get 40+ mpg with normal riding. If you are getting less after a tune, the problem is the lousy tune.

If you are getting low 30's mpg, pull the oil dipstick and notice if you smell gas, 'cause the rich running causing the low fuel mileage may be so rich it is washing the cylinders with gas, contaminating your oil, etc.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM
george liles
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

if a person had everything needed, how hard is it to change the maps on the race tuner? Can it be done or is it take back to the dealer each time for them to charge $ to touch it? Mine runs decent but pops at higher rpm's going through the gears and has some pop slowing down once in a while.

George