Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

To rich or to lean how can you tell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts
Default To rich or to lean how can you tell?

My bike use to runs way to lean around 14.7 afr the oil temp is always around 260 to 240 degree. I put a Harley race fueler on and now it runs a lot cooler about 200 to 220 but I do not know if it is running to rich when I pull in the garage I smell fuel a little. I know to look at the plugs and the inside of the pipes to see what tint they are (black for rich brown for just right and white if lean) and if my mpg goes up or down. Is there any way to tell by the way my bike runs? What I am trying to ask is. Can you tell if your bike is running to rich or to lean by the way it runs?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup. It runs like crap if it's too lean or too rich. Do a plug check and mpg check to see if your fuel burn is in the ballpark if you feel you are too rich.
Ron

Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 PM
ubreal
Road Master

how long should you wait to do a plug check after a adjustment, about every time you fell up the tank?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

10 to 15 miles is plenty to do a plug check.

Rich is better than lean, btw.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you determine it was way too lean at 14.7:1 AFR? That's actually a perfect value for many operational situations. If your oil temperature is too high a better first solution could be to install an oil cooler.

Now if you'd said you were having driveability issues, such as surging at part-throttle or falling on its face with a "crisp" exhaust tone when you first opened the throttle further, then I'd say you were exhibiting signs of lean mixtures.

If you'd said it was "burbling" at part throttle or fell on its face with a "blubbery" sound when you first opened the throttle further, then I'd say you were showing signs of over-rich mixtures.

If you told me you were running a closed-loop EFI system and your plug's center insulators were white but were not glazed or speckled, and that there was about 1 millimeter or so of soot ring down at its base, then I'd say the plug heat range was correct and the mixture was correct. If you'd said the plug was glazed or speckled I'd say it was too hot, but without knowing about the soot ring I couldn't tell you whether it was a heat-range or a mixture problem.

Similarly, if you'd said the insulator tips were tan in your closed-loop EFI system, without knowing about the soot ring, I could not say whether the plugs were too cold or the mixture was too rich; maybe both.

That was kind of a roundabout way of giving you some things to look for. But I can't necessarily suggest you be the only one doing the looking at this time.

Do you know anybody who can go over some of this stuff with you and your bike in person? It would be better for you to learn that way than via an Internet forum, if possible.

There are other factors beyond just fuel mixture to a good tune. Could you consider getting a Daytona Twin-Tec Twin-Scan system to monitor what the computer is reporting and what the mixtures actually are?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
ubreal
Road Master

I check out the Daytona Twin-Tec Twin-Scan system looks impressive, but I do not want to spend that much money. I know a shop that will do a dyno run for 20 bucks. I was hopping that I could get some info what happens when I am running rich the "blubbery" sound you are talking about I have not heard so that must be a good thing.