Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2009 Street Glide stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008 | 12:09 AM
Puttnutt24
|
Road Warrior
Default 2009 Street Glide stage 1

Hello everyone, I posted this in the touring section but I hope its ok if I post it here also.
I'd like to install a Arlen Ness Big Sucker 1 and a set of Rinehart Slip-On mufflers on my new 2009 Street Glide then take the bike to my local dealer and have them do a Stage 1 download. Will this download be enough to tune the EFI properly or do I need a Power Programmer or other fuel management system? thx, Rich

Old 09-22-2008 | 01:20 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

"Will this download be enough to tune the EFI properly?" That depends on your take on "proper." It will be about as proper as it can possibly be, for the money or otherwise, outside of a custom tune. But most folks here will tell you it'll still be too lean and hot. You can make it richer and cooler through other means, but then it won't be as "proper" anymore. At least in terms of economy and emissions.

The download will set the parameters within the EFI computer to proper values (at least close-enough since you're not using the exact parts it was derived for) so all the internal control mechanisms will work as designed. Whatever you do, don't listen to any online or print articles, or posts here or elsewhere, where it's stated that you don't need to do anything to the EFI when putting such parts into service. And don't try to rely on something like IEDs to take care of this for you, either.

Probably the best combination of best and cheapest you can do would be to order a TTS tuner (the SERT replacement) and employ the autotuning software that works with it to custom-tune your EFI.