Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

new Vista computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Thanks and this is where I suspect my culprit exists. My Vista "C:\Users\All Users\" subrirectory does not contain any application subdirectories or files, only music, videos, & documents.
Also check in the "C:\Users\Public\" directory structure, as that is where Thunderheart is storing their files on my computer.

I'm sure it isn't Vista certified, or even built with Vista in mind, and unfortunately when the VAR's aren't control freaks they allow the OS to dictate the common file repositories... I know that is the "standard" and "best design practice" requested by MS, but in many cases it doesn't seem to serve the purpose. I'm not a big fan of what MS has done with file management in Vista, and in reality Glens is spot-on with his disdain for MS in general, but it is the dominant consumer OS in the marketplace (and has made me a bunch of money over the years - thanks Bill!).

Roger

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Thanks and this is where I suspect my culprit exists. My Vista "C:\Users\All Users\" subrirectory does not contain any application subdirectories or files, only music, videos, & documents. Maybe it's just a bad install (10 times) & I need to manually extract the application files & create the "applications" subdirectory. In my first post to this thread I mentioned that I couldn't get "Calibration Quick Sync" to work either. I got it to work by editing the properties of the start button to start in the Vista specific path rather than the XP specific path. I really don't believe this program is Vista certified.
GPM
Try: C:\Usuers\Public\Public Documents\

This is where my ThunderMax maps are stored.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
Also check in the "C:\Users\Public\" directory structure, as that is where Thunderheart is storing their files on my computer.
Ummm... isn't that what I said (with proper spelling of "Users" even)?

Let us know what you find Gramps.

Roger

Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the ideas. The moral support keeps me trying.
I didn't get a chance to try anything last night but when I get it working I'll post the specifics.
GPM

Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
Ummm... isn't that what I said (with proper spelling of "Users" even)?

Let us know what you find Gramps.

Roger
Yes your spelling and typing is better. But sometimes you have to drill deeper.

And if the file is known a search would find it and properties would identify the location

Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

Hate to raise a dead thread, but I just got my SESRT yesterday and when I tried to load it on my Vista64 box I got the Nolan error. Has anyone actually gotten this to work on Vista ( specificly on Vista x64 ) and if so what did you have to do to get there? I am about to throw in the towel and pick up a cheap XP laptop, but would really like to be able to work on the maps on the big screen.

Thanks, Harry

Last edited by DoomBuggy; 01-16-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM
warper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

had to run efi tuning software on a friends' laptop, which was using Vista64, and got some troubles. Didn't have time to figure out if the software was vista-capable or not, so I just installed the latest VirtualBox (from sun) and created a 32 bit virtual machine, and installed windows in it.

Once finished I set up one of the USB of the Virtual Machine to map the physical USB port where the RS232 is attached and voilà.

It was no SEPST, it was the SERT, but maybe this info helps out.

You can get virtualbox at www.virtualbox.org

Old 01-16-2009, 01:28 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed my SEST on my Laptop currently running Vista Ultimate. I upgraded from XP shortly after Vista came out. I have had no problems.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:07 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I installed my SEST on my Laptop currently running Vista Ultimate. I upgraded from XP shortly after Vista came out. I have had no problems.
Is that the 32 or 64 bit version of Vista? I have a couple of other things that will not work under the 64 bit version ( I would downgrade to the 32 bit version but I need the extra horsepower for video editing )

Old 03-15-2009, 02:19 AM
hellmut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone figured out how to get this "nolan" error fixed? I have tried it on both my Vista and XP system. I recieved the same error on both. Some times I think I should have just bought a power comander!

Quick Reply: new Vista computer