Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

new Vista computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The issue he is having is NOT a SERT issue. It is a fairly common problem with HD's new SESPT product that he has. Trying to compare the SERT and the SESPT with Vista and XP is not the same.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by thrillseeker
Second thought - I am pretty sure Microsoft officially dropped support for serial connections in XP. There are lots of serial connections that work in XP, I don't know that I have had any issues... but I'm would not be surprised that more and more issues will come up around serial connections and Vista.
That said, I don't know if SERT is USB or Serial, so maybe I am off track here.
If it is a serial connection, you are probably screwed. I would follow advice above this post.
You're kidding, right??? Hope so, as RS-232/16550 compatibility is still a cornerstone of the core OS IO and will be for probably years to come. Problem is that there are so many consumers who know little, if anything, about serial communications nor did they live through the days where serial configuration was a standard, core competency for anyone using a personal computer. Nowadays, with Plug and Pray, USB, alternate operating systems, etc., those skills appear to be forgotten black magic.

JMHO, of course.
Roger

Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The issue he is having is NOT a SERT issue. It is a fairly common problem with HD's new SESPT product that he has. Trying to compare the SERT and the SESPT with Vista and XP is not the same.
Ha Ha!

Comparing anything Windows with any sort of "good" computing environment is an utter joke. The best possible scenario for any of these software developers is to write the code in Java so it is 100% portable to whatever the end-user wants to run on their computers. Requiring the user to obtain/use an MS Windows license is a terrible disservice!

Steve, I'm going to call you in the next few days with a few pointed questions regarding my already-purchased and delivered TTS tuner. Please set aside some time to spend with me on the phone. Okay?

Thanks!

Glen

Old 09-03-2008, 03:40 AM
djcustom1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serts with vista

I had no problem with serts on my new vista H-P lap top. Only isue was i had to get a usb cabel from belken and then downloaded driver for vista from there web site. No problems from then on.

Last edited by djcustom1; 01-13-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Someone help me with this. When installed on XP, the base program was put in a file "C:\Program files\Super Tuner\" and some of the files were put in a "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Super Tuner\" subdirectory. When installed on Vista, I can't find the the latter directory. In other words, where does Vista put the actual "Tuning Files"? Thanks.
GPM

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 09-03-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Someone help me with this. When installed on XP, the base program was put in a file "C:\Program files\Super Tuner\" and some of the files were put in a "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Super Tuner\" subdirectory. When installed on Vista, I can't find the the latter directory. In other words, where does Vista put the actual "Tuning Files"? Thanks.
GPM
Vista moved the Users directory to the root drive, so you should have "C:\Users\All Users\*" (actually, All Users is actually a link to ProgramData) which is probably where the data are stored.

Roger

Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tunaman
You're kidding, right??? Hope so, as RS-232/16550 compatibility is still a cornerstone of the core OS IO and will be for probably years to come. Problem is that there are so many consumers who know little, if anything, about serial communications nor did they live through the days where serial configuration was a standard, core competency for anyone using a personal computer. Nowadays, with Plug and Pray, USB, alternate operating systems, etc., those skills appear to be forgotten black magic.

JMHO, of course.
Roger

Went back to my source on this - I will have to retract my statements regarding Vista support for serial... my bad (thanks alot source).

Old 09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Steve Cole

I didn't realize there was a new product, so I was not comparing them. I thought the discussion was regarding SERT.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thrillseeker
Went back to my source on this - I will have to retract my statements regarding Vista support for serial... my bad (thanks alot source).
No worries... since the advent of the 16550 UART (universal asyncronous receiver/transmitter - the chip responsible for RS-232 IO communications) way back in the late 80's, if I recall correctly, all PC manufacturers have included them as core components and all Intel operating system manufacturers have included drivers and support (and will for many years to come, I believe).

Serial communications can be a challenge to set up properly, at times, because they can be extremely sensitive to resource conflicts. If your serial interface doesn't work properly:

I had a conflict for my TMax, using the Radio Shack USB adapter on my Vista laptop, but simply plugging into a different USB connector on the laptop forced it to use a different COM port. I then identified which COM port it was assigned and set the software to use that port, and it has been stable and steady since.

Hope this helps - probably way too much information, but too much is usually better than too little!

Roger

Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 PM
    grandpawmoses
    Road Master

Originally Posted by tunaman
    Vista moved the Users directory to the root drive, so you should have "C:\Users\All Users\*" (actually, All Users is actually a link to ProgramData) which is probably where the data are stored.

Roger
    Thanks and this is where I suspect my culprit exists. My Vista "C:\Users\All Users\" subrirectory does not contain any application subdirectories or files, only music, videos, & documents. Maybe it's just a bad install (10 times) & I need to manually extract the application files & create the "applications" subdirectory. In my first post to this thread I mentioned that I couldn't get "Calibration Quick Sync" to work either. I got it to work by editing the properties of the start button to start in the Vista specific path rather than the XP specific path. I really don't believe this program is Vista certified.
    GPM

Quick Reply: new Vista computer