Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HELP PLEASE...99 Magneti ECM Trouble...! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:16 PM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile HELP PLEASE...99 Magneti ECM Trouble...! ! !

I am having problems with my 1999 Fuel INjected FLHR.

I have gone through the service manual...but I wanted your guys expert opinion.

NO FUEL PUMP...Engine cranks over just fine...Check engine light on all the time

I sent 12v to fuel pump.....pump sounds good.

I disconnected ecm then...switch on....check engine light goes out.

I reconnected ecm...switch on...light stays on...does not go off after 4 sec.

With ECM connected and switch on run...I can hear consistant and constant click click click...click click click....etc etc fron ECM relay until i switch off.

Green/Orange wire from Ecm Relay to ECM (spot #4 ECM ground memory) has ground then no ground...then ground then no ground..etc etc etc until I switch to OFF.

BAD ECM??????? Anybody ever experienced this before??? Ever opened one up before with a easy fix???Suggestions???

IF it points to new ECM...can I get one from dealer already programmed so i dont have to send bike to get ecm reflash like I had to with my newer softail Blank ECM that Harley is selling nowadays???

Will 97 98 99 2000 magneti ecm's be a plug and play??? interchangable I mean???

I thank all you guys in advance for your help...JC

Old 08-30-2008, 06:47 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I have a 1998 model and is quiet similiar to yours.

If the check engine light is on and stays on....then check for codes. You'll have to count the flashes and refer to the service manual.

I had a problem with the fuel pump as well. Under the console, one wire connecter slipped off and was just dangling. This caused the fuel pump to not come on. I do not remember the the check engine light was on during this problem or not.

You might want to take a look though under the console....easy to check.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:57 PM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

Wires under console are fine...also wires to pump are good.

My check engine light stays on constantly...it never flashes or turns off...it only turns off if a switch to off position.

If it has a code...it should flash right??? or how do i get it to flash???

Old 08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

If your CEL comes on and stays on, it has set a hard code. You have to check for codes. Not sure how that is done on a 99. My 04 is Delphi EFI so I don't know if the code procedure is the same or not.

When you unplug your ECM, the CEL is NOT going to light because the ECM drives the light.

That relay could be bad. Does your ground disappear and reappear in rhythm with the relay cycling? Could also be a bad ground somewhere. Check all your wiring harnesses and connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:24 AM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

Seems like I got good grounds...will double check tho.

ECM relay clicks in rhythm...I changed all relays...Checked all (I mean all) connections...but will double check tomorrow....thanks for the help...will keep you guys posted..

Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Also, the ECM is not end-user repairable. Most likely it is potted in epoxy to keep water from damaging the internal components. If you had a means to remove the potting, and then to remove the board from the ECM body, you would still have to find the bad component, and then replace it. Then you would have to re-pot it.

If you know someone that has a similar bike, you could plug their ECM into your bike to see if it does the same thing. If it does, then you know it is a problem on the bike, not with the ECM.

Of course, make sure you battery is fully charged and has good contact. Electronics are very picky when it comes to intermittent contact

Old 08-31-2008, 12:49 PM
cts1950
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your ignition and fuel pump share the same fuse, under the seat is a bosh type relay that is the fuel pump relay. Dose the check engine lite come on and stay on all the time or dose it come on then go off and come back on and stay on this is important. If it comes on then gos off and back on to stay look at page 9-17 of your manual which gives the instructions how to retrieve the current trouble codes. Page 9-18 gives the fault codes and what they mean. If the light comes on and stays on that shows a fault in the light circuit.

Last edited by cts1950; 08-31-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 PM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

Light comes on and STAYS ON...

Manual advised to remove ECM then switch ON...If light is OFF...Switch OFF...Reconnect ECM..then Switch ON...If light turns on and DOES NOT turn off....BAD ECM.

That is EXACTLY what happened...Manual advises this incase your Black/Yellow wire which is the ground wire for the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (which the ECM is the creater on such ground in under normal operating conditions) might be making a ground on the frame...causing light to be constantly on...even with ECM removed.

Dang IT...Seems like my fears are reality...

Anyone got a 99 Magneti? Would other years be plug and play also??? 97, 98 ,00 ???

Old 08-31-2008, 02:35 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TEXASFIREMAN
Light comes on and STAYS ON...

Manual advised to remove ECM then switch ON...If light is OFF...Switch OFF...Reconnect ECM..then Switch ON...If light turns on and DOES NOT turn off....BAD ECM.

That is EXACTLY what happened...Manual advises this incase your Black/Yellow wire which is the ground wire for the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (which the ECM is the creater on such ground in under normal operating conditions) might be making a ground on the frame...causing light to be constantly on...even with ECM removed.

Dang IT...Seems like my fears are reality...

Anyone got a 99 Magneti? Would other years be plug and play also??? 97, 98 ,00 ???
I know your manual probably says to check for codes using the check engine light. This should be your FIRST step before you do anything else. My opinion, without checking for codes, you might as well be stacking BB's in the wind.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice

EVOrider...Maybe I missed something...

How do I check for codes...I dont have any type of electronic scanner...And as soon as I turn my ignition switch on...then run switch to on...the CEHCK ENGINE LIGHT comes on and never turns or...nor does it flash...

In this scenerio....do you know how to get my bike to FLASH codes...or how to retrive codes..??? Thanks...you'll be a life saver. I know I make things complicated sometimes...but I try to cover all bases before I spend $$$. Thanks again

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE...99 Magneti ECM Trouble...! ! !