Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HELP PLEASE...99 Magneti ECM Trouble...! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:28 PM
cts1950
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it comes on then gos off and back on to stay look at page 9-17 of your manual which gives the instructions how to retrieve the current trouble codes. Page 9-18 gives the fault codes and what they mean. If the light comes on and stays on that shows a fault in the light circuit.
A. Turn key switch on for 3 seconds and back to position 3 (off) for 3 seconds
b. do step a again
c. turn switch on again and wait 8 seconds the light will begin to flash the codes.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
TEXASFIREMAN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I GREAT BIG "THANKS" TO ALL YOU GUYS ! ! !

Problem Solved...MIssion Accomplished ! ! !

What a Fricking Idiot......................................

I told my buddy....."Hey...Maybe your Super-Dopper Battery Charger isnt working...I know its on the 40am setting...then we changed it to the 200amp Jump start setting....but I think your Battery charger sucks!!!" (He always makes fun of my 'HARBOR FREIGHT' tools so this was my chance to get back at him)

He said..."Dude...I use this charger to start up my 18 wheelers when they are completely dead!!!"

I replied...."I'm going to pull up and connect my jumper cables to use my truck...sometimes ive seen HD's need the whole 300 cranking amps to start"

He said.."Your stupid...200 amp should be enough"

So me buddy discouraged me from doing what I should have...2 days later...TODAY...just before I was about to BUY IT NOW on EBAY a 1999 ECM..USED @ $200...I went down to his shop and jumper cables my bike.....WAMMM BAMMMM

Pump Sounded Good....Cranked right over Strong.....HELL YEAH!!!

With my buds Big Ole Charger...engine would crank over...but not fast and powerful-like...like it should. I guess it just wasnt get enough juice...

In retrospect...I guess the ECM Relay was doing just like Ole fords and Chevy Starter Relays do when the battery is low and doesnt have enough juice..switch on and CLICK CLICK CLICK Click...

I SURE DO APPRECIATE ALL YOU GUYS FEEDBACK AND HELP......Really I do...

I hope this helps some other IDIOT in the future...It helped this one...thanks again.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:49 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you were powering the bike from a battery charger? That was your first mistake. Battery chargers usually don't provide enough juice to do what you want. Even on "200A jump start".

So your first move would have been to put a fully charged battery in the bike.

Now kneel and pray to the HD gods and beg for forgiveness..... LOL

Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Glad to hear that it is running again....

I would personally test the battery...volts and check the cold cranking amps as well. Usually, these are first signs that the battery will fail in short order and when you least expect it. Avoid being stranded.