Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

77 sportster 1000 starting problem with video

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Lons 77
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 77 sportster 1000 starting problem with video

In the start of the video I said relay when I ment solenoid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TefZURmYg0 .

Old 08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Lons 77
Novice

Anyone

Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check to see if the battery is fully charged for one thing. If it is check all the main connections needed for starter. If all is well that way it may very well be the starter itself, as in corroded commutator or burnt windings or stuck brushes. With your test you've ruled out the relay and it still would not turn. There maybe another contact type swith which is connected from the solinoid engagement inside that may be corroded that is used to actually start the motor itself. Seems like removal is your best bet with a good look over. You might get lucky with only needing a good clean up inside. Check the armature for open circuits in each commutator segment and shorts in the windings while at it.
Ron

Old 08-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lons 77
In the start of the video I said relay when I ment solenoid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TefZURmYg0 .
Put a volt meter on the starter stud....inguage the solenoid again and watch if the starter is getting voltage......if it is the starter is bad....if not one of the two contacts inside the solenoid is not making contact with the brass pull in washer which means get a new solenoid.
You can take those pliers and jump across the two big studs on the solenoid and the starter should turn over but it won't inguage...this will tell you if the starter is any good. If you jump the small stud to the big stud on the back of the solenoid the bike should turn over, if it does replace the solenoid.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Lons 77
Novice

The battery is new and kept on a tender.I also took the relay apart and cleaned everything very good with scotch brite (the 2 copper contacts and the disk that they ride on).Ill get my volt meter from my brothers house tomorrow and check to see if theres power to the starter but I did take the starter off (cleaned it out real good) and hooked it to jumper cables/battery and it spun over pretty fast.I'll take video of all the test tomorrow and post them cause I think it will be easyer so you guys can see what im doing and whats going on.Im a cert. auto tech (18 years)and this is nothing like working on cars ect...

Old 08-28-2008, 07:25 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do what doc said.. he beat me to it... Harleys are simpler than cars.. imo

Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

from the sound of it you have some power getting to the starter solenoid.
Make sure battery is good(turn the lights on and retest the solenoid. light go dim or out, battery is shot)
short out the 2 large lugs on the solenoid.
starter turns ,battery power is good,
dosent turn, battery power insufficiant. check main cables and ground connections
solenoid sounds llike its working BUT is not pulling the bendix drive in or the plunger is not pulling in all the way to make contact inside the solenoid housing

Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

seen video check to make sure there is no binding at starter to clutch ring gear witch means pull primary cover and check then watch or starter will not work under load it sounds like gear is engaging but not spinning if possible try to borrow a workin starter if it cranks engine its the starter do same with solinoid

ride hard die free

Old 08-29-2008, 07:02 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

having problem with starting after riding bike is fully warmed up when stopped and sitting engine off go to restart bike after a minute or so it will not crank or cranks once slowly then acts like battery is dead but lights are bright and horn is still loud all i get is a clicking has new battery and i have checked all connections to get it to start i have to jump start it get it home and charge the battery i also checked the generator its up to specs. any help would be great as im pulling my hair out thanks

Old 08-29-2008, 07:05 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

forgot to mention its an 82 sportster

Quick Reply: 77 sportster 1000 starting problem with video