Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What is this clicking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Shovelhead77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this clicking?

I rebuilt a 77 sportster, after hooking up the Battery, stator relay, and regulator, I turned the key on and was checking lights and horn, and whatnot, and I heard this click-click every couple seconds, after a few minutes she started smoking, I turned everything off, and noticed that the HOT wire from the ignition to the regulator was fried. I replaced that and couldn't find anyother wire's that where melted. I started the process again and there was that click-click noise again. I shut it down before anything else melted. Can anyone tell me what it might be? And how to fix it. Thanks

Old 03-21-2006, 06:02 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: What is this clicking?

Sounds like you have a wire pinched or grounded and the ticking could be a breaker opening. You have to isolate the section of the wiring circuit that is grounded causing the problem. Usually a visual check point by point will reveal where the wire is pinched.

If you don't have a DVOM, take a look here for some help... https://www.hdforums.com/m_151613/tm.htm

Old 03-21-2006, 06:09 PM
chopperchuck
Cruiser

that is the overload that is cycling open and closed because you have a DEAD SHORT somewhere! don't turn on the ignition until you find the short or the bike could catch fire and if your bike is in the garage, it could catch fire and if the garage is attached to the house....well, you get the message!

Old 03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Shovelhead77
Cruiser

I found a pinched wire in the hand controls, ( three of them) I now have all the hand control wiring running through the bars. I will reconnect them all, and try it again, hopefully that was the problem. I also noticed that my startor relay has four posts,(not three) like it shows in the wiring diagram. Two large copper colored and two small silver ones. The small ones are labled I and S Witch one should I hook up the starter Button to?Ans there is a ground wire connected to a bolt in the crankcase Where should that go? I appricate all your help, This is my first Harley and I had to build it from the floor up. I just want to do it right. Thanks again!!