Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is this problem caused by my ignition module?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this problem caused by my ignition module?

I am having a problem with my 1996 FXDL on cold starts. The starts hard and runs only on the front cylinder until maybe a minute goes by and it has warmed up with the enricher on. Once warmed up it runs fine. When it is first started, as the bike is starting to warm up, the front cylinder fires 2 times to every 1 time the rear cylinder fires. This came on fairly quickly and I have since replaced the plugs to no avail. I have been hearing from people that it sounds like it may be my ignition module. What about the voltage regulator?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Swamphunter; 08-23-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamphunter
I am having a problem with my 1996 FXDL on cold starts. The starts hard and runs only on the front cylinder until maybe a minute goes by and it has warmed up with the enricher on. Once warmed up it runs fine. When it is first started, as the bike is starting to warm up, the front cylinder fires 2 times to every 1 time the rear cylinder fires. This came on fairly quickly and I have since replaced the plugs to no avail. I have been hearing from people that it sounds like it may be my ignition module. What about the voltage regulator?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Ignition takes at least 9.5 volts to fire the plugs so if your getting fire at all I wouldn't worry about the regulator, however I'd clean the pilot jet in the carb and check the VOES operation. Also check the vacuum lines and manifold for leaks before I spent money on a new ignition module

Old 08-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

Thank you very much

Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You might want to replace the spark plug wires as you could have a broken or leaking wire.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain
Default Ignition module

Thought I would post the response to this now that the problem has been identified, in case someone else has this problem and use the search feature here. This did end up being the ignition module causing this problem. It was replaced and running fine. Very easy job to replace, and only took a few minutes. Trouble was, the cost of the part was more than $200 bones.