Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT VE Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Spike_96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT VE Question

I'll be out datalogging tomorrow, to see where my VE tables compare to the Reference file I have loaded. I've read the SERT manual, read hundreds of posts here and yet there is one thing I don't understand. There are constant references to "Setting the AF to 13.x " Then tuning the VE tables. After which one would have to reset the AF table to 14.6 for closed loop mode. Why is this needed?

TIA.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As near as I can tell temporal shift. You can't tell exactly how the measurements relate to one another in time. So a flat afr across the board eliminates a variable and makes it easier to tell where adjustments are needed.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser

Ok so, is a map loaded with a flat afr, then logged? or is the flat afr applied when making the adjustments?

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike_96
Ok so, is a map loaded with a flat afr, then logged? or is the flat afr applied when making the adjustments?

Thanks.
You may be putting the cart before the horse. The reference in your original post to loading a map with a constant afr value, say 13.5, was likely in conjunction with use of an
O2 measuring device, such as a Dayton Twin Tec Twin Scan II+ with O2 sensors. By using the flat afr in conjuction with the Twin Scan II data logging you can determine how to establish front and rear cylinder VE. Tuning a bike on a dyno does the same thing with sniffers in the exhaust pipes, or 02 sensors in the head pipes on the newer models.

Without collecting data to compare target afr to actual afr, there is no way to accurately establish VE.

Datalogging isn't going to do you much good in trying to tune the bike unless you have established accurate VE tables. You can make any adjustments you want and see how they effect hp/tq, but that's a very hit/miss approach. Far better to establish actual VE values and then make af and timing changes.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser

I was asking if and at what point I should change the AF tables. If datalogging won't help me tweak the VE tables, then what is the point? And no, I don't have any "sniffing devices"

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike_96
I was asking if and at what point I should change the AF tables. If datalogging won't help me tweak the VE tables, then what is the point? And no, I don't have any "sniffing devices"

Thanks.
The Data in the ECM will only tell you the AFR you are requesting in the Fuel Table...it will not tell you what the true AFR is coming out of the pipe so trying to set your ve table with out all the infornmation needed such as true AFR is a waste of time.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Is this a bike with stock o2s? What year bike is this?

AW

Old 08-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser

Doc, Thanks.

WB, It's an '07 with stock o2's.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:08 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do a SERT data log and Email it to me. Remember to turn on 02 logging in the software.

AW

Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
Do a SERT data log and Email it to me. Remember to turn on 02 logging in the software.

AW
Will do. Last time I tried, the computer didn't like the ride. I've made "adjustments" since.

Quick Reply: SERT VE Question