Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electrical Guru's Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:07 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default Electrical Guru's Needed

Alright here's the problem. Just installed brand new Spyke charging system, complete from stator to regulator. Everything loctited and installed perfectly!
New battery installed about 3 months ago.
She's putting out 13.8volts at idle, and over 14v's while riding.
Battery is fully charged and has tested good with a load test.
Due to crappy weather and schedule, just got it out tonite for it's first real ride. Took it to my kids football practice, parked it, turned it off.
Then I wanted to move the bike, and she clicked, then nothing, no dash lights, nothing.
Pulled the seat off, cable were still tight, not loose. Used blue loctite on the battery bolts.
So, wiggled negative cable a bit cause I see a slight scorch mark on the spacer between the cable and battery.
Then I got dash lights back, but when I tried to start it, a HUGE spark jumps out of the neg. cable where that mark is.
Got it fired up and rode it home.
Pulled the seat off, tried to start it again, same thing, huge spark.
Checked voltage, all perfect still.
Can't figure out why it's doing it.
Checked all cables at starter, frame, etc...and all is good.
Wondering if the battery could have a short in it.

HELP!!!! Thanks ahead of time guys!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you tell if the arch is neg. post to cable, or neg. post/cable to frame. Pull the cable clean, reinstall. Search area for more scorch marks and let us know.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spike_96
Can you tell if the arch is neg. post to cable, or neg. post/cable to frame. Pull the cable clean, reinstall. Search area for more scorch marks and let us know.
The arch comes right where the spacer meets the battery. And the mark is on the spacer.
A few others are telling me the same, clean the loctite off the bolt, and in the nut and reconnect.
Had a mechanic tell me to do 2 things. Install new neg. cable, and add a second ground cable from the battery to the starter because of the bigger motor requiring more juice...sound right?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Spike_96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound advice for the most part. The need for more juice could be indicative of a failing starter. i.e. drawing excessive current. The need for an extra ground wire would indicate that, or a poor ground in the existing wiring. If it were me, I'd remove the ground wire, inspect it for cracks and loose connectors. Also clean the mounting point where the wire meets the frame.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spike_96
Sound advice for the most part. The need for more juice could be indicative of a failing starter. i.e. drawing excessive current. The need for an extra ground wire would indicate that, or a poor ground in the existing wiring. If it were me, I'd remove the ground wire, inspect it for cracks and loose connectors. Also clean the mounting point where the wire meets the frame.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice!
Here's what I did so far. I cleaned all the loctite out of the nuts in the battery and bolts. I bought a new ground cable and installed it.
Put it all together and walla, its perfect, but then again it was just like this after installing the new charging system. I'll know better when I go out for a ride. Right now it's pouring out so i'll have to wait...

Thanks again!