Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 02:40 PM
thrillseeker
|
Road Warrior
Default fuel pump

So, a few weeks ago I suddenly noticed a high pitched tone coming from my tank console area. it sounds just like the EFI priming, just not as loud.
not sure if I posted here, since the site was still in "issue" mode, I probably didn't.
At another site it was suggested that I might have holes in my internal fuel line - "check valve assembly". I talked to the SM at my local dealer, and he said turn the system on with my ear up to the tank filler hole, if I hear bubbles, that is the issue... I heard what sounded like bubbles, so I concluded I must have holes in that line.

I replaced the line, and did the filter since I was in there. Only 17k on the bike, but figured i might as well.

I am still hearing this damn tone. It has to be the fuel pump, there is nothing else in that area that would make a sound like that.

The bike seems to be running OK.. problem is once I hear an unusual sound, I start to get hyper senstive and everything starts to feel like it is off.

So, I'm thinking I'm gonna replace the filter. ... unless there are other suggestions. It may be nothing, but I hate hearing it, I hate hearing anything out of the ordinary, and I would hate to get stranded when/if the pump craps out on me.
With that said, is there an aftermarket fuel pump i should consider rather than the stock replacement from HD?

thanks

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:23 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

What year and model HD is it?

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:44 PM
thrillseeker
|
Road Warrior

2005 Wide Glide
95" stage I

Old 08-11-2008 | 09:41 PM
gdgrl
Stage II
Default high pitch noise from the fuel pump

I was told from the service mgr at Red Rock HD that it was my fuel pump, when I said fix it, it should be under warranty he said it isn't because the fuel pump is still doing its job besides the noise, he told me HD was aware of this problem and it is common on 07 & 08 sporty's... must be common in more than that since yours is not a sportster...

Old 08-12-2010 | 09:00 PM
Sal C
Cruiser
Default high pitch noise

I know this post is like 3 yrs old. My 2007 low rider is doing that also. 20 K miles on her. Runs fine, but it's annoying. Did you ever get your's to stop whinning?
Thanks

Old 08-13-2010 | 06:59 AM
gdgrl
Stage II
Default it still makes noise

I have almost 20K and it still does the same but usually when it's above 100, I only notice it when it's hot out... very annoying

Old 08-13-2010 | 03:59 PM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser

I have the same problem ('07 XL1200C). I just brought home a filter housing with snap on hose connected and a fuel pressure regulator (a little over $50). We'll see if that cures it. It is only bad when it's above say 90 degrees and it's LOUD! It's cooling down now so I'm prolly not going to be able to tell the difference till next year.

Ok, just put it on and I think it's the cure. The fuel light no longer comes on at 70 and the initial fuel pump ramp up when you turn the ignition to "on" is much quieter. Success! You'll have to reuse the stainless steel clamp that is on the hose from the pump to the filter "can" so remove it gently and afterwords loosen it up with a screwdriver so you can re-cinch it over the new hose. You'll see what I mean when you take the "guts" out of the tank.

Last edited by GrovenSportster; 08-13-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2010 | 09:02 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter

Thanks for the update. My gf has a 08 sportster. We made a recording of her sound, which is awfull, gave it to the dealer and basically same thing, "It still pumps, so" .can't fix it.
. . .