Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electrical probs, not charging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:31 AM
BigFokker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical probs, not charging?

So my dad gave me his bike because he hasn't ridden it in almost 2 years and while we were loading it up we found the batt was dead.

I trailered it home, put a brand new battery in it today and took three short rides. The third ride I ended up stranded.

Here are the vitals:

'99 Ultra Classic
Old batt was HD branded from 2001
New batt is from Batteries plus (XTA30L?)
Installed the batt today around 3pm. The bike fired right up!
The first ride was great, used radio and the battery gauge stayed at 12v

Second ride I noticed the batt gauge was dipping to 10-11 and the oil gauge was dipping just below 32.

Third ride, bike fired up good. I hit the interstate with cruise control and radio cranked. 10 miles in, I saw the batt gauge was at 10 on the dot and the engine light was on. Got off on my exit and hit some stop lights.
First stop light I turned off the radio (and cc of course) and batt still at 10. While sitting still the engine light goes away.

Pull off from the light and engine light comes on. Ride 3 or 4 miles and batt drops to 9. Next stop light engine light disappears again.
Pull off and engine light comes back on and batt gauge is still at 9-10.

5 miles later I get to my destination, shut it down, run in for less than 5 mins, come back and it wont fire. I turned the ignition, lights came on, FI did it's thing and it turned over twice but no start. Batt gauge is at 8.

I ended up leaving the bike at work and taking my service truck home.

I pulled the battery and broght it home. Got it up on the bench and it read 11.6 on the meter. Before I put it in the bike it read 12.5

Why does the batt read 11.6 on the voltmeter while it's on my workbench, but when it's in the bike the gauge is down at 8???

I've done some thread searching and found out it could be the voltage regulator or the stator, but I honestly don't know where these parts are....which one is down in the front of the frame just behind the front fender?

Is the dealer the only place I can get a manual from?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:29 AM
fxrfreak
6th Gear

Hey Bigfokker, The one in front of the frame is the regulator, the stator is inside the primary housing. Try getting the bike started again and while it is running put the voltmeter leads on their respective sides on the battery and see what it is reading with the engine running, note your results, a good regulator will be pushing a little over 13 volts,(maybe a little more since it is an Ultra) I THINK!! I'm not a pro!!
If it's not charging i don't think it will be above 12 volts.
On the regulator, I think there are three wires, one going from the reg to the battery, and another two going from the reg to the stator which has a two pronged connector between the reg and where it goes into the lower engine case, you'll be able to see where it goes into case because it's kind of on top there on the left side of case.
If it is not charging, take the two pronged connector apart, (this is without the engine running by the way) take your multimeter and put one of the leads into one of the prongs coming FROM th stator, take the other lead and ground it on the primary or engine case and see if it is grounded, if it is grounded, then your stator is bad.
If the stator isn't grounded then its your regulator.
If in fact it is your stator, that requires removal of your inner primary components, (outer primary cover,clutch hub, primary chain and compensator sprocket) as the stator is located behind the comp. sprocket assm.
Another tell tale sign that it is the stator is that your primary area and the fluid will smell burnt.
Hopefully i explained it well enough, let me know.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:29 PM
BigFokker
Tourer

fxrfreak,
That was a great explanation! I've also since found some online schematics at bikebandit.com

I took the battery back this morning and they gave me a new one, so I'll go back out tonight, pop the new battery in and ride it home.

It's a good thing I've got the keg fridge in the garage because it may be a long night...

Thanks again for your help.