Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Novice questions on electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
JABaxter
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice questions on electrical problem

I own a 1997 FLHTP. I replaced the battery and found some wires that were cut and shorted in the main harness. I repaired the wires by stripping them back and using a metal crimp clamp. I then used a heat shrink tubing and insulated the clamp to protect it from any moisture.

Alternator gauge reading a little over 10 amps on idle. Parked the bike and came back to it the next week, battery dead. Charged the battery and fired the bike up, engine lamp comes on on tachometer. Pull manual with the bike, even looked in repair manual I purchased when I bought the bike. No answers. Measured the amps on battery @ 13 amps. Plan on checking it tomorrow to see if something is draining the battery. (BTW - the ignition switch was in the lock position and I made sure it was in the lock position before I read the amps from the battery)

What causes the engine lamp to come on the tach?

Will let you know about any battery drain tomorrow unless someone has a better way to trouble shoot.

Thanks!