Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SERT or not?

I live in a town with 2 Harley dealers. I bought an '08 Street Glide in June and had Rinehart True Duals, breather kit and a SERT installed before I picked the bike up. The guy at the dealership said that I NEEDED the SERT because with the true duals because the bike would run too lean and get way too hot. I went for it because I wanted everything to work right. Today, I was at the other dealer and was told by one of the technicians that I got hosed by the dealer I bought my bike from and that they had installed many, many sets of Rinehart True duals and just did the breather kit and the download from Harley. I want to know who's right. I don't have a problem with my bike but I damn sure wouldn't have spent the extra $800 ($500 for the SERT and $300 for labor/dyno) if I hadn't been told that I need to for the bike to run right. I'm just curious. I'd appreciate anybody that knows for sure to please respond. Also, WHERE is the SERT mounted??!! THANKS!!

Last edited by hawg08; 08-06-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, your dealer didn't lie to you. You needed to adjust your fuel flow for the changes you made to your intake and exhaust. What he didn't tell you was you had options. The dealer download was one way to go. Probably the cheapest but not your best choice. It is not optimized for your changes and cannot be adjusted. But you could have gone with a PC III and been just as well off as with the SERT. And while you may have taken a beating on the cost, you should expect that when you go to the dealer. The SERT is not mounted on your bike. The SERT is a dongle or interface between a computer runing the SERT software and your bike. Once used on your bike, the dongle is married to your ECM and will work with no other bikes. The dealer should have given you the dongle, the tuning software and a copy of the map they loaded on your bike. If not, you need to pay them a visit because you paid for it. Do some reading in this forum. There's a lot of information here.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a guy who has the same bike and setup and got the HD download. It pops between shifts.